E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Overheating W124?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German Taxi (1987 300E)
Overheating W124?

I found a really cheap W124 (88 300E), but according to the current owner:

I don't know exactly whats's wrong. It starts buts runs hot.

Does anyone think this is worth it? What could be causing this?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Really need more info than runs hot. Runs hot as in 90C? 100C? or redline C?

Fan clutch could be bad, temperature sensor could be bad, thermostat might not be opening, radiator might be shot.

How many miles? If its been running hot for a long time, you may want to stay away from it.....All depends on the price.

There are not too many "cheap W124's". I got very lucky on my 260E...but most cheap w124's end up being more expensive than buying one that costs more, but has been maintained better.

Last edited by ps2cho; 05-30-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go look at the car.

1st thing you want to do is see if there is sufficient coolant.
Then see if the fans engage
etc etc etc

It could be a simple fix.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by fernan_b
I found a really cheap W124 (88 300E), but according to the current owner:

I don't know exactly whats's wrong. It starts buts runs hot.

Does anyone think this is worth it? What could be causing this?
The cooling system is not terribly complicated in the Benz. Providing the head gasket is OK, most problem areas are; temp sensor, thermostat, clutch fan, electric fan(s), serpentine belt, water pump, radiator and aux water pump.

In a lot of these cars, some system has failed like the fan, water pump or thermostat and the engine ran hot for however briefly; the head warps, the head gasket fails and you can read about all that in here, for sure. Like ps2cho said, a poorly maintained car (or a car with known problems) is a dark horse going into it. Get it for dirt, pour hoards of $ & time into it, or buy something that someone else has already fixed up.

Kevin
Old 06-03-2014, 01:49 AM

Mercedes Benz 230E W124
Hai there,

I own a Mercedes Benz 23E, W124 engine which already undergo a major built up process which involved in fully engine overhauled, transmission overhauled, suspension overhauled, and etc.
As the car has been built up as a new car, I do notice that the engine sometimes overheating. It only starts when the car in idling such as in the traffic jam or waiting for longer period of time in traffic light.
The scenario will be:
1. When the engine has been started in the morning, for few minutes the temperature
will be 78 degree.
2. Start to driver and temperature remains below 80 degree, unless if you stop at
traffic jam the temperature rise to 82 degree and while the fan clutch in operation,
the temperature remains at 80 degree.
3. When you start to drive again for longer period of time in a highway, the
temperature will only at 78 degree.
I've check on the thermostat and written is 78 degree and functional found o.k.
The engine has been overhauled with new pistons, liner, cylinder head gasket, new water pump, bearing and etc.
As I get the information from the authorised Mercedes service centre, they told me that my engine cylinder head has been skimmed. Is this the symptoms on the engine over heat to be happen? I guess may be the combustion area are too close to the cylinder head and create this overheating problem.
There in on time when I parked my car for 2 hours with engine in idling and air cond was "on", the temperature rise till 100 degree. The funny thing is that not even a small drops of coolant found leaking in the engine and coolant level in the reservoir was in standard level. I'm sure it is the meter gauge problem as when the engine overheat, the air cond system interrupted as well where I don't get cool air from the dashboard. Only when I drive the car, everything back to normal.
Could you guys advice what are really happening to my car?
My first though is to service the radiator and if problem still persist, then I need to look in the cylinder head. Maybe has to replaced a new cylinder head due to skimmed.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Why do you think it is overheating?

You should start a new thread.