E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

factory alarm ... to disturbing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 11:40 PM

2000 e430( w210),1979 240D (w123), 1992 300e(w124), 1990 mitsubishi galant VR4
factory alarm ... to disturbing

my wagon keeps on alarming when i unluck the doos from the driver side & open it, i have to go to the passenger side or the rear trunk to de-activate the alarm sound ... what can i do so fix that alarm

thanks
Old 06-20-2009 | 05:27 AM

1993 500E
Originally Posted by roach_juts
my wagon keeps on alarming when i unluck the doos from the driver side & open it, i have to go to the passenger side or the rear trunk to de-activate the alarm sound ... what can i do so fix that alarm

thanks
i had the same issue. turned out to be a frayed wire that attaches to the tumbler.
it can be accessed by popping out the plastic cover in the door jamb.

hth,
a'
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:26 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by arno
i had the same issue. turned out to be a frayed wire that attaches to the tumbler.
it can be accessed by popping out the plastic cover in the door jamb.

hth,
a'
I had the same problem....was told it was the micro switch in the driver's door. I disconnected the alarm under the passenger carpet. Thanks to all the dolts who let their car alarms run until their batteries are dead, nobody pays any attention to car alarms other than their 'nuisance' factor. I've yet to see a thief caught setting off a car alarm, just the owner.

Kevin
Old 06-20-2009 | 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
If the micro switch is defective, you will need to replace the tumler assembly. You may want to inquire with the dealer to see if they can re-key a new tumbler for you. I wasn't able to find a way to remove the tumbler
Old 06-20-2009 | 08:14 PM

2000 e430( w210),1979 240D (w123), 1992 300e(w124), 1990 mitsubishi galant VR4
thanks guy!
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:07 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
If the micro switch is defective, you will need to replace the tumler assembly. You may want to inquire with the dealer to see if they can re-key a new tumbler for you. I wasn't able to find a way to remove the tumbler
I haven't looked at the assembly yet....I assumed that the micro switch piggy-backed on the tumbler somehow. Are you saying that the tumbler/micro switch are a complete unit, inseparable? If that's the case, it may stay 'inactive' a while longer.;-) I'll check with the dealer though about re-keying a new tumbler...sounds expensive.

Kevin
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:03 AM

1993 300E 2.8L
the tumbler and micro switch can be separated. however , i'm not sure if they r sold separately. ps u dont have to take off the door cards to get to the tumbler. its been a while since i did the job, but if i remember correctly it went something like this... when u open up the door, there are two plastic plugs on the inside at door handle level, 1 is for a screw, and the other plug is for removing the wiring to the microswitch. pull out the wiring and disconnect the microswitch, then loosen and remove the screw, then put yer key in the tumbler and give it 60degree turn to the right and a bit of a jiggle and then you should be able to remove the tumbler along with the microswitch. i then removed the microswitch from the tumbler, plugged the microswitch back in, and proceeded to test the switch. in my case, the switch worked, however there was some wear on the tumbler , which i believe was the reason why my alarm failed to disengage. i guess i need a new tumbler? from what i've read, they arent that expensive, but if you do decide to buy a new one i would like to hear what it cost you. oh and another thing, from what i've read the lock on the trunk does not have a microswitch, so you can sucessfully engage and disengage the alarm via the trunk lock, and therefore there is no need to not use your alarm.
good luck

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2009 | 11:09 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by timmyr
the tumbler and micro switch can be separated. however , i'm not sure if they r sold separately. ps u dont have to take off the door cards to get to the tumbler. its been a while since i did the job, but if i remember correctly it went something like this... when u open up the door, there are two plastic plugs on the inside at door handle level, 1 is for a screw, and the other plug is for removing the wiring to the microswitch. pull out the wiring and disconnect the microswitch, then loosen and remove the screw, then put yer key in the tumbler and give it 60degree turn to the right and a bit of a jiggle and then you should be able to remove the tumbler along with the microswitch. i then removed the microswitch from the tumbler, plugged the microswitch back in, and proceeded to test the switch. in my case, the switch worked, however there was some wear on the tumbler , which i believe was the reason why my alarm failed to disengage. i guess i need a new tumbler? from what i've read, they arent that expensive, but if you do decide to buy a new one i would like to hear what it cost you. oh and another thing, from what i've read the lock on the trunk does not have a microswitch, so you can sucessfully engage and disengage the alarm via the trunk lock, and therefore there is no need to not use your alarm.
good luck
Thanks timmyr....the two plastic plugs you are talking about are on the door panel side, with the door panel removed? I find it wholly bothersome to operate the system through the back hatch, so I'm not gonna do that. I was having some trouble even unlocking the driver's door. I figured the tumbler was shot...along with the micro switch. I ordered a new key from the dealer and it unlocks the drivers door perfectly now.

So....most likely I have a lose connection at the micro switch or a bad micro switch. I would order the tumbler and the micro switch combination at the dealer, IF the tumbler can be keyed the same as the rest of the locks. To tell you the truth, I don't miss the alarm system. Invariably, someone would try to exit the car after I lock the doors, or not fully shut a door and trigger the alarm. I don't think it's a bad system, just a nuisance and as I said, it's most likely not going to thwart a thief.

Kevin
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:40 PM

1993 300E 2.8L
Hey real1shepherd. My bad for being a bit vague… there is NO need to remove the door cards aka door panels. all you have to do is open your car door, and if you look closely, you will notice a couple of plastic plugs (at outer door handle level) located just above the door lock mechanism. If I remember correctly the bigger plastic plug contains the wiring to the microswitch, while the other plug covers the screw which holds the door handle in place. Ps. if you’ve got some sturdy , flat plastic lying around , use it to make yourself a wedge tool, which will come in handy for removing the plugs, especially the bigger one, or if you feel like spendin some cash you can find a plastic wedge tool set on ebay.

good luck

see the following link:
http://www.ps2cho.net/downloads/MB%2...sis/72-240.pdf

Last edited by timmyr; 06-23-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:04 PM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by timmyr
Hey real1shepherd. My bad for being a bit vague… there is no need to remove the door cards or door panels. all you have to do is open your car door, and if you look closely, you will notice a couple of plastic plugs located just above the door lock mechanism (at outer door handle level.) If I remember correctly the bigger plastic plug contains the wiring to the microswitch, while the other plug covers the screw which holds the door handle in place. Ps. if you’ve got some sturdy , flat plastic lying around , use it to make yourself a wedge tool, which will come in handy for removing the plugs, especially the bigger one, or if you feel like spendin some cash you can find a plastic wedge tool set on ebay.

good luck
Hey timmyr....I haven't looked yet because the car is in the back with the head off....waiting on the machine shop. I didn't read where you said to remove the door panel, so I was hoping not!;-) I've had it off a couple of times though and it's not the end of the world....MB did a poor job on some very fragile, perishable parts in there, however. I've seen no parts house so far with any sort of door internal panel pieces, other than to buy the whole panel at a salvage yard.

I have some sturdy plastic wedges...thanks again. I'll let you know about the tumbler/micro switch combination and if they (locksmith/dealer), can key it the same as the rest of my car. Who knows, maybe I'll get in there and just find a frayed or loose wire.....nah, not with my luck.

Kevin