E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

No check engine light on 400e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No check engine light on 400e

I bought this 93 400e 2 yrs ago. It was smog and passed. Now it is my first time to smog it and it will not pass due to the car never having a check engine light. I had it researched by a mechanic and this car was imported to Japan first then to the US.
Long story short it was never updated to a state car (Calif) with the light. So now no one including dealer wants to do a smog because of the light. I even ask about getting a waiver stating it never had the light. I just keep getting the run around. It has made it off the radar this long and now everyone will not touch it until it is taken care of. So go figure, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Hmm interesting. Maybe keep trying different smog stations until someone will agree to overlook that? Maybe bring proof of its movement?

Or swap an instrument cluster with the CEL and see if he tests that it works?
Old 03-12-2022, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 SL600 Sport
Pull out the instrument cluster (you can do so with those hook tool things from autozone for 8$.)

Find the SRS bulb relay and pull it out.

You can just move the SRS bulb to the far right slot.

Itll light up and make it seem like the check ending light is on.

If you can find a red bulb that will be more convincing too since for some reason the window for that light slot is green.

California sucks.