E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

suspension work, should I look for anything or have anything on standby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 MB 300CE w/5 speed
suspension work, should I look for anything or have anything on standby

Just ordered new shocks and struts for my 91 CE, and due to my limited resources that I have on hand I'm wondering if I should be looking for anything else under there while I'm at it, bolts that wear, break etc.... I have a lot of body roll and can hear my shocks pissing with every bump and know this is the main contributing factor but just curious if I should be prepared for more work once I get at it.

I'm stationed in Italy (crappy roads) and have to go to the base hobby shop to us the lift and they have a very limited amount of tools and odd items, bolts etc....

Also, what else should I look for that are common items that wear that can be replaced.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
a mercedes spring compressor would help
Old 07-02-2009, 11:45 AM

2001 W210 E55 and 1995 W124 E320 (RIP), 1992 400E, 1991 300E 2.6
Cheap, easy and worth it if these are past their prime: definetly front sway bar bushings (4), possible front sway bar bushing brackets (2 bigger ones that can wear/crack), possible steering damper (cheap and easy), possible rear sway bar bushings (I haven't found anyone other than MB that sells them - I only assume there'd be improvement since fronts certainly did for me), possible front top strut mount (can crack - something to check while doing the struts - not required and can be costly).

Other more expensive/work involved: probable given age - rear links (5 each side) - bushings wear out (several hundred$ for complete set), probable ball joints or control arms depending on model year (late model ball joints are welded to arms - bushings in CA's will be upgrade as well), maybe wheel bearings.

Klann style spring compressor only required if front springs and/or front control arms being changed/removed. Not needed for any shocks/struts. Only use this type - NO OTHER DESIGN - Klann is $800 +/- !!! Carefully chose alternate brands - beware cheap immitations since there is great risk of serious injury or death if the clamp fails and spring escapes!!!!!!

So I did mix steering and suspension but it all can add up...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:25 AM

91 MB 300CE w/5 speed
once I get it up on the lift I was planning to check bushings and all. Just curious if there is anything that is a common componet that breaks that I should have on ready standby. Thanks for the input.