E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Removing interior vents?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Removing interior vents?

I have looked through the FSM and I can't find it anywhere...
The bulb goes into the switch to open/close the vents does not illuminate and I have the cluster off so I figured why not as I have it apart. It looks like it is not part of the dash, but a separate item....but I don't see how it comes off.

Anybody know?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
IIRC, there are four metal tabs that lock it into place two on top and two on the bottom. I had to replace my vent cover a few months ago. I can check when I get home to be sure where those tabs are but I think they are evenly spaced about an inch from each edge.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by Brian_I.
IIRC, there are four metal tabs that lock it into place two on top and two on the bottom. I had to replace my vent cover a few months ago. I can check when I get home to be sure where those tabs are but I think they are evenly spaced about an inch from each edge.
I see the metal tabs. Like you said, 2 on bottom, 2 on top. Do you have to depress each one?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
You need to push down at least two on either the top or the bottom to wedge it out and then I think it will easily pop out. Be careful because I used a screwdriver to pop it off from the top and dented the vinyl dash piece a little (not too bad but it is soft up there).
Old 07-15-2009, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124DashReplace

woop woop
Old 07-15-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 500E
simplest way to go about this is to slip a dime into each clip. the vent will just pull out.

hth,
a'

Last edited by arno; 07-15-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typi
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM

1992 300TE 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by ps2cho
I have looked through the FSM and I can't find it anywhere...
The bulb goes into the switch to open/close the vents does not illuminate and I have the cluster off so I figured why not as I have it apart. It looks like it is not part of the dash, but a separate item....but I don't see how it comes off.

Anybody know?

I'll be interested in this one...both my left and right vents have no illumination; only the center ones. What type of bulb, where you found one etc.

Kevin

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I never even realized they were supposed to light up. Any pictures?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Yep! They are supposed to.

Okay the way the mechanism works is pulling it up/down. For the top ones, put a coathanger through and pull DOWN, and for the bottom, pull UP. Do one side at a time, not top then bottom because you gotta lever out one side first.

The bulbs are part # 2721 @ autohausarizona. $0.73c each.

After getting it out, I swapped bulb and works great now

If you are gonna buy, get like 10 because they are used throughout the car. Dash lights, console lights etc...

Last edited by ps2cho; 07-15-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 AM

1993 500E
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Yep! They are supposed to.

Okay the way the mechanism works is pulling it up/down. For the top ones, put a coathanger through and pull DOWN, and for the bottom, pull UP. Do one side at a time, not top then bottom because you gotta lever out one side first.

The bulbs are part # 2721 @ autohausarizona. $0.73c each.

After getting it out, I swapped bulb and works great now

If you are gonna buy, get like 10 because they are used throughout the car. Dash lights, console lights etc...
you guys are needlessly complicating the issue. simply slip a dime into each clip and pull
the vent out. easy peasy.

a'
Old 07-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by arno
you guys are needlessly complicating the issue. simply slip a dime into each clip and pull

a'
The dimes are a great tip! You know, more and more I am starting to think that many of the complications that forum members complain about are really just the result of nonmechanics trying to fix things that they know absolutely nothing about. I'm pretty sure that my Indy can do most of the stuff with his eyes closed. At least I am hoping that is true, because right now I am leaning toward keeping the car for quite a while longer. I was just so worried that nobody could possibly fix my car, except maybe the stealership for tons of cash, considering all the bad stories on the forums. I am starting to think it may not really be so bad for a well trained and experienced mechanic.

Last edited by ksing44; 07-16-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Originally Posted by arno

a'
If you ask me, the dimes method is the one that's overcomplicated.

You still have to pry them up with a small flat-head or something similar. Slipping coins in is just an extra step. All you have to do is do the two left clips, pull the left side out a little, and do the right side. Easier peasier.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by ksing44
The dimes are a great tip! You know, more and more I am starting to think that many of the complications that forum members complain about are really just the result of nonmechanics trying to fix things that they know absolutely nothing about. I'm pretty sure that my Indy can do most of the stuff with his eyes closed. At least I am hoping that is true, because right now I am leaning toward keeping the car for quite a while longer. I was just so worried that nobody could possibly fix my car, except maybe the stealership for tons of cash, considering all the bad stories on the forums. I am starting to think it may not really be so bad for a well trained and experienced mechanic.
Not everything. Its a different story trying something new, but asking ahead of time will usually save many ways. EG: Removing the head with the intake side DETACHED. The dealership will remove with it attached along with most indies, but in reality it does not need to be removed at all. It saves you several hours work and potential problems by leaving it all intact.

Originally Posted by rivcal4life
If you ask me, the dimes method is the one that's overcomplicated.

You still have to pry them up with a small flat-head or something similar. Slipping coins in is just an extra step. All you have to do is do the two left clips, pull the left side out a little, and do the right side. Easier peasier.
Agreed...I don't see how a dime helps anything at all. The clips have to be pushed down and you could quite easily lose the dime under it. Only thing you'll end up with is a nice collection of change once you get it off. Rewarded!