E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Car Won't Pass CA Smog

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
Car Won't Pass CA Smog

Because of the new law that came into affect in January of this year, my car won't pass smog. Many retailers online won't ship cats to CA cause they aren't approved. Does anyone know where I could get a relatively inexpensive CA approve cat for my car? It's a '93/2.8.

TIA
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go do a search on peach parts dot com for emissions/ smog. There's a cat there who is/ was quite the ace on emissions related stuff.

What was the problem with your car? CO? NoX? Missing components?
My car is due next month. What new law are you talking about?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:47 PM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
not sure what it's failing. i have a bud that just opened up a smog only station and he told me that the cat was to blame. he's by the books and i respect that. on the bright side, he doesn't charge me. the law doesnt require changes to a car, just when getting a new one.

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp
Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Go do research on the law and print it out if you car is so old and has over 70000 miles your car is excempt. As long as you got a cat in its original place you should be fine. The smog shops are screwing people.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by epowers777
Go do research on the law and print it out if you car is so old and has over 70000 miles your car is excempt. As long as you got a cat in its original place you should be fine. The smog shops are screwing people.
Bullpoop.
The highlighted portion is misleading. THE CAR IS ****NOT**** EXEMPT. It is only exempt from having to use a catalytic converter on the "approved list." per the AQMD/ vehicle code/ wherever it is that they have laid down the law.

As far as I understand it, the only cars that are exempt are cars build for the 1975 model year and before, diesels (older ones, new ones have thier own standard they have to achieve) cars not going to be driven on public roads (race cars, farm vehicles etc.)

All other cars are required to pass the smog test, and certain cars, those that "fit the profile of a gross polluter" (like all W124s) have to go get tested at a test only facility, where no repairs= no incentive to make it pass.

If your car doesn't pass and you spend "x" amount of dollars to remedy it, and it still doesn't pass, you may be able to put off the smog test for a year, but you still have to test it again the next year on its regular schedule. And if you are low income you qualify for "assistance" in the form of a refund for repairs exceeding "x" amount to your not passing vehicle.

Last edited by neanderthal; 07-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
^yeah, i've heard of everything that you've mentioned but nothing of the sort of what epowers777 has mentioned.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 AM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Excempt meaning it does need and arrow ,number and visible up to 5 feet etc. Yes you still need a cat but it doesnt have to be an oem cat. I live in California and my friend was just screwed in his camaro. Hes fighting the smog shop to get his money back. You must have a cat and it has to be in the proper location.

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp

Heres a link do research for more detailed info.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
isnt that the same link i posted?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 AM

It is!!!! well my friend is getting his money back. sorry if I couldnt help you.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
What new law?
Your car should have three cats on it, two at the ex manifold and one half way down the pipe. Between the three I can't imagine a problem, but you have one it seems... One big problem is the the first cat(s) will get clogged, you can see it if you pull them off and look inside. My '90 190E had that problem, it had lost power and was running hot which are classic signs of clogged cats. Since the replacements cats were more than the cars worth, I simply gutted those first two cats. It passed smog fine with the remaining cat. If you want to replace your cat(s), you can pay the big bucks and have it done, pay half that and do it yourself, or pay a fraction of all that and install generic cat(s). The generics were about $50ea last time I checked and they work perfectly if not better than oem, but they don't just bolt in, they need to be custom fitted which you or a muffler shop can do. I can't give you much more advice since I don't know more about your situation.

As for the state (Calif), there is a program that works with you if your car hasn't been tampered with (no emission parts removed or race parts installed etc). I'm looking into it now for my car, it passes the emission test no prob, but the check eng light won't go out due to a tranny problem. If the eng light is on it's an automatic fail. It's BS imo, but that's CA for you. Contact the DMV or the BAR www.bar.ca.gov, they offer financial assistance for repairs and possibly a get out of jail free card and let your car slide if it can't be resolved.
Good luck!