E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A/C Clutch melting fuses!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
A/C Clutch melting fuses!

I evacuated my A/C system yesterday and added 2 cans of 134a with the aux fan manually on high to cool the condenser. I jumpered the compressor clutch so that it was engaged while I was filling. After about 1.5 cans it seemed almost like "cooler" air was coming out of the side vents, "seat of pants feel". All was well until a funky smell and smoke emanated out of the engine bays fuse box. I shut everything down and observed that the fuse for the aux fan and compressor clutch etc. was the culprit. I also noticed that the two pins in the KILMA relay socket used to manually jumper the compressor clutch were quite melted. I'm no expert but could my clutch coil be shot, thus causing this? Or is it the fact that the compressor clutch should be cycling instead of full on? what are normal resistance readings for the clutch coil? Only good news so far is that the system held a good vacuum for 2 days prior! Maybe I'll be in need of a compressor. Any help is appreciated.