E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Gonna put some sound dampening material in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Gonna put some sound dampening material in

I'm thinking of getting 100^2 ft of FatMat for $129 on ebay.

Reason is that I am taking off 3 out of 4 door panels on my 260E to fix the window motors...so why not while its off layer some sound dampening in there?

Anybody else done any on W124's?

You think 100^2 ft would be able to do all 4 doors and front footwells?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
A few members have added deadening material for audio installs, I would recommend elemental designs eDead line if your looking for high quality cost effective deadening. They offer deadening paint and material at various thicknesses. They also do not use a tar based core material, rather a Butyl core material so you don't end up with sticky tar dripping all over your car when it gets hot out. Not sure how it stacks up against FatMat but its worth a look http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=572
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by appatula
I would recommend eDead for high quality cost effective deadening. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=572
Thanks for the link. It seems that the material is thin, say 1/16 inch. What color is the non-adhesive side? I'm thinking of road noise in general, not stereos. Put it on the wheel well liners? Do it the easy way on the wheel side or remove/bend the liner and apply it on the unexposed side?

Here's a good one: do you think it would work on noisy appliances like washers and dryers? Noisy computer printer? I have a home office in a small living space and I want to be able to talk on the phone with everything going. Other posts suggest inexpensive air duct wrap. Advice?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Yes I am leaning towards cutting road noise. My brother showed me his FatMat install and I can tell a big difference when you bang his doors. The door that does not have the material on it sounds very flimsy in comparison.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
YNVDIZW124, RHW, and BigPete123 I believe are all familiar with this. One of them compared a deadened W124 to the feeling of a "coffin" when you shut the doors so the difference is very noticeable on that account. The only trade off is weight. I wanted to do this when elemental designs had a 50% off sale so let us know how it works out and the added weight, results, etc.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
On my first coupe, I did a stupid expensive audio system, and had every inch of car from windows down matted. Difference was recognizeable, and for audio purposes, it isolated the music like none other.

But, I've not repeated it. IF I was a diy guy, I'd probably do it in any regular driver, BUT, since I pay folks...the guys who really know what they are doing don't want to do this and the guys that are willing to strip my cars down to do this...are not great at putting everything back.

I would do it if I were you. You'll notice a difference and never regret it if you work clean.

OTOH, these cars are pretty quiet per se to begin with, so other projects appeal more to me when I have extra cash.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

By the way, it was only "stupid expensive audio" because I soon after fell in love with Sportlines and Cabriolets. And M104 engines. So the car was coughed up to my bro.

I WOULD do it again if I landed in a 50K miles 95 coupe that I planned on keeping for 100k+ miles.

And Psycho, if your cars are keepers and the costs are time and wholesale matting, DOOOO it. You will smile as you cross railroad tracks.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Yep these cars are keepers -- especially the wagon.

I find that road noise is the problem. I can have music blasting inside and from the outside its dead silent -- nobody can hear me. I love that, but after driving in a 1990 Buick wagon, there is a significant difference in road noise. That thing is damn silent!!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just, uh, and I'm sure you've considered...
Possibly the ol Buick is running on stock smallish balloony tires while your Benz rolls on larger rims and wider low profile tires. That does add us in some road noise.

Every time I ride in my brothers car, I think of that matting. You can tell and it is a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by appatula
I would recommend elemental designs eDead line if your looking for high quality cost effective deadening. They offer deadening paint and material at various thicknesses.http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=572
I received good information from Brett Bell (brettb@elementaldesigns.com) for soundproofing a car and other things. The two important facts were that the material should be placed on an interior metal surface, and that different thicknesses dampen different frequences. So, wheel wells need all trunk trim removed so they can be dampened from the trunk side. The installation video shows a technician applying the material in strips - that would be the method for dampening two kinds of frequencies.

I work at home and in the car - this sound dampening is going to change my world. Thanks again, appatula.

PS- please dump at least a half gallon bucket of ice cream on the statue in front of Conn Hall for me. I haven't been able to get back there lately.

Last edited by iblaho; 08-08-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling