E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

In hot weather....Do you keep Recirculate ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
In hot weather....Do you keep Recirculate ON or OFF?

I'm trying to figure out which one keeps my car colder in 100F heat....

What do you guys do?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Keeping AC/fans totally off will sometimes net me about 5-10deg colder as compared to the Economy setting.

If I need serious temp drops I put max fan, max temperature on either Up/Down vent or Defrost. This will make the temp gauge drop almost as fast as the speedo needle can go up :P
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Keeping AC/fans totally off will sometimes net me about 5-10deg colder as compared to the Economy setting.

If I need serious temp drops I put max fan, max temperature on either Up/Down vent or Defrost. This will make the temp gauge drop almost as fast as the speedo needle can go up :P
Sorry. Should have clarified -- I meant Cabin temperature for me, not my engine
Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 220 Coupe E 320 Cabrio AMG E 300 Diesel
I switch on recirculating air to keep cabin colder, It's more efficient than switched off because air is taken from the cabin; which is colder than outside air; and also because air flow increases with the same setting; this is because air don't pass through dust filter.

Sometimes I can heard how the system automaticly switches on recirculating air, although recirculating button light is off (you can heard flaps deflection and realized air flow increases).
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dark tinted windows are your friend!!!!!!! The 94 is tinted all round, but of course its black on black. Opening the windows in that bad boy sometimes gets you attacked by the heat outside.

I use recirculate to keep it cooler. Actually I use it everytime I have the AC on. I figure if I am going to take a fuel economy penalty I may as well mazimise its use. So max air and recirc every time.

I almost never use the AC. My trips on my daily routine are only about 30mins max. It takes about ten to take the heat out of the car, with max AC, when its been baking in the sun for more than a half hour. So I figure why bother.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 AM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Recirculating for me. It seems the ac runs easier. Remeber its and old car my 08 will freeze you out!!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by misabou
I switch on recirculating air to keep cabin colder, It's more efficient than switched off because air is taken from the cabin; which is colder than outside air; and also because air flow increases with the same setting; this is because air don't pass through dust filter.

Sometimes I can heard how the system automaticly switches on recirculating air, although recirculating button light is off (you can heard flaps deflection and realized air flow increases).
Well the earlier w124's don't have the dust filter, but your logic seems correct otherwise.

I got tinted windows on the wagon, but there is such a mass of air inside that car it takes a while to cool it down. Especially as I'm running r134a I may in the future switch over to propane as I've heard it cools 10x better than r134a and its totally safe to use as if you have a leak, you'll smell it! Couple oz of propane is nothing to worry about compared to 19 Gallons of gasoline

Thanks guys.

Last edited by ps2cho; 09-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tesla model S
I share in your CA heat as of late. My 95 is white with grey MB tex so not a bad combo (better than black on black) but the windows have no tint. Bottom line the last week or so I've also switched back and forth from regular to recirculate and I must say, recirculate DOES NOT keep my cabin cooler like I thought it would. For some reason it feels just as or colder with recirculate mode off. Just my 2c.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
^ I can't seem to get a solid answer either...Even though logically recirculate should be colder, I've tried both without getting a real definitive answer. I guess the only way is to temperature probe the difference...