E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

HELP! Stuck doing brake pad replacement, 95 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 Cabriolet
HELP! Stuck doing brake pad replacement, 95 E320

Hi all,

I'm replacing the brake pads in our 95 E320 cabriolet. The front right went fine. I'm doing the front left and on the inside pad, I remove it, then pushed the pistons back to put the new pad in -- one piston moves back fine, but the other piston won't budge a millimeter. On that wheel the 3 other pistons moved fine. I was able to replace the outer brake pad, but on the inner one, the one piston won't move so I can't get a new (or the old) pad in there.

Any suggestions? If I can't get it, can I drive the car to a shop with that missing brake pad?

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Old 02-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

95 E 320 Cab
I usually take the top off the Fluid filler cap and it takes the pressure off the system so you can push the calipers back more easily. Maybe you already did this or released the bleed screw. Have you tried a little "BRAKEKLEEN" to flush out any old brake dust?

Just supposing, but I would not drive it without the pads in place unless you can stop using the Flintstone method of braking.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 Cabriolet
Already tried...

...already tried opening the brake fluid cap and the bleeder valve. Will try Brakekleen tomorrow. Otherwise guess I'll get it towed to a shop -- I'm not experienced enough to take the brakes completely apart!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

300e
your brakes

hey man,
i've done tons of brake jobs and it sounds like the piston is stuck sideways. there is very little clearance inbetween the piston and its cylinder. start the car, push the brake to push the piston back out. then slowly and evenly push the piston in. If its still giving you hell, buy a new caliper.

good luck

the shemdogg