E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Get out Instrumentcluster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124 230e
Get out Instrumentcluster?

I need to get out my Instrumentcluster (think it's name in english) from my MB 230e -89, So that i can remove my ABS-warning light temporarily.

But I can't find any bolts or anything close to the instrumentcluster. How do i get it out?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Make the tool needed out of coathangers. You need them "L" shaped. Basically slide each one down the side of the cluster (tight fit if never removed before...so be firm, but careful) and turn the hanger so the L grips to the back of the cluster then just pull out.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 AM

E 220 Coupe E 320 Cabrio AMG E 300 Diesel
I always take out Instrument cluster without any special tool.
What I first do is to take out cover under the steering wheel to access cluster from the back.
Then I take out the pvc heating tube which goes to the left diffusor by simpli pulling.
Then It's very very important to unscrew the flexible shaft from speedomenter before take out cluster because there is no any play on it. You must follow with your hand and unscrew.
When flexible shaft is unscrewed, the cluster can be taken out. All the remaining wires have play enough.
I used to push the cluster from the rear with my hands. I prefer this in order to use any tool to pull the cluster from the front.
The first time a cluster is remove it's very hard to take out: the pressure clips are difficult to beat.
Once cluster is out you can unplugged wires.

But I belive that if you only want to take out ABS bulb you can try to find it with your hand (once you have take out the cover under steering-wheel and pvc tube) without taking out all cluster.

Be lucky!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by misabou
I always take out Instrument cluster without any special tool.
What I first do is to take out cover under the steering wheel to access cluster from the back.
Then I take out the pvc heating tube which goes to the left diffusor by simpli pulling.
Then It's very very important to unscrew the flexible shaft from speedomenter before take out cluster because there is no any play on it. You must follow with your hand and unscrew.
When flexible shaft is unscrewed, the cluster can be taken out. All the remaining wires have play enough.
I used to push the cluster from the rear with my hands. I prefer this in order to use any tool to pull the cluster from the front.
The first time a cluster is remove it's very hard to take out: the pressure clips are difficult to beat.
Once cluster is out you can unplugged wires.

But I belive that if you only want to take out ABS bulb you can try to find it with your hand (once you have take out the cover under steering-wheel and pvc tube) without taking out all cluster.

Be lucky!
That is a lot more work than is needed. With the proper set of MB cluster removal tools, you can pull the cluster in 30 seconds. It will come out far enough so you can get your hand behind it to unscrew the speedo cable, then it will come out further so you can access the bulbs.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:51 AM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
You cluster DIY is HERE
Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 AM

No!! I'm afraid you are wrong 2PHAST. What you say is right for electronic speedos, your 500 has it (electronic speedos were fit with V8 engines only). But wih mechanic speedos the flexible shaft is not a electrical wire but is a mechnical axis without length enough to pull the cluster. Is imposible to pull the cluster without disconecting it like I explained.

Last edited by misabou; 10-07-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
^ I have done it on both my cars along with 3-4 at the junkyard and the cluster can be pulled out far enough to make a 4-6 inch gap. There is plenty of slack to pull it out far enough to get your hand behind to unscrew it.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
No!! I'm afraid you are wrong 2PHAST. What you say is right for electronic speedos, your 500 has it (electronic speedos were fit with V8 engines only). But wih mechanic speedos the flexible shaft is not a electrical wire but is a mechnical axis without length enough to pull the cluster. Is imposible to pull the cluster without disconecting it like I explained.
I can assure you that I have done this many times and my statements are correct, so yes, you can pull the cluster out far enough to get your hand back there and unscrew it.

Electronic speedo's are easier of course, done a dozen or so of those as well.
Attached Thumbnails Get out Instrumentcluster?-img_0951.jpg   Get out Instrumentcluster?-img_0952.jpg  

Last edited by 2PHAST; 10-07-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:25 PM

1993 400E
Make a couple of "coat hanger" tools. 2 mins max. You may have to tug hard - check out

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124InstCluster
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2PHAST
I can assure you that I have done this many times and my statements are correct, so yes, you can pull the cluster out far enough to get your hand back there and unscrew it.

Electronic speedo's are easier of course, done a dozen or so of those as well.
Ok, sorry! I also tried several times but never was able to do it. I suppose it depends on the ability of each one and also the tools. Without any tool, like I did, is very dificult. For me, to pull out the cluster is always a nightmare!!

Thanks for the explanation 2PHAST!!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by KenF
Make a couple of "coat hanger" tools. 2 mins max. You may have to tug hard - check out

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124InstCluster
Very cool! thanks for the link Ken! Now I realized why never was able to take out the cluster easier. The kit of the question is to make an own tools and unclip the flexible shaft to have length enough. What a discovery!!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Very cool! thanks for the link Ken! Now I realized why never was able to take out the cluster easier. The kit of the question is to make an own tools and unclip the flexible shaft to have length enough. What a discovery!!
If you unclip the flexible shaft, you can pull the cluster out a lot further, this is especially helpfull if you have big hands. People with small hands can get them in back of the cluster and unscrew the speedo cable fairly easy.