E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

LED Tail Light Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 S-500
LED Tail Light Wiring Help

I just received a set of red/clear led tail light for my 93 w124 2.8. I tried to install them - as they said they were plug-n-play. However, I noted that the rear driver's side plug has 7 plug connectors and the rear passenger side has 6. I assume that the 7th plug is for the rear fog light. I cannot seem to get them to work right. The entire bottom of the light are LEDs. These are from Eagle Eyes and are for this car. Both plugs on the new lights have six pins. I think I cam make this guys work if I had a wiring diagram. Can you guys help me? Anyone in this situation before?

Joey.-
Old 11-26-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
You need to replace the 7 pin plug with a 6 pin plug, not use the rear fog light wire (insulate it with electrical tape so it does not short against metal). The wiring colors are the same on both sides, so you can follow the pin layout from the passenger side to correctly do the drivers side. Also is best if you have a multi-meter handy so you can affirm the function of each wire.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
I got a set from the junkyard for my 500e so I'd have something a little brighter than the stock ones. I did not get the lenses, just the internals.

After much headache, I came up with (what I think) is the best possible setup given the way the circuit boards are designed. I have the center two lights as running lights, and the outer two on each assembly as brake lights. Maybe I got a bunk set, but the center squares in each light are not very bright.

I will check later and let you know which colors are where.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
You need to replace the 7 pin plug with a 6 pin plug, not use the rear fog light wire (insulate it with electrical tape so it does not short against metal). The wiring colors are the same on both sides, so you can follow the pin layout from the passenger side to correctly do the drivers side. Also is best if you have a multi-meter handy so you can affirm the function of each wire.
Im not sure if this applies to you, but with me, the issue was not finding which wire was which from the car, but which did which on the lights. If I remember right, there seemed to be two wires which had the same function on the lights. Then, the inner lights would light up as brake lights, and the outer lights as running lights, which is illegal in CA. The brake lights must be either the equal to, or to the outside of the tail lights.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
Im not sure if this applies to you, but with me, the issue was not finding which wire was which from the car, but which did which on the lights. If I remember right, there seemed to be two wires which had the same function on the lights. Then, the inner lights would light up as brake lights, and the outer lights as running lights, which is illegal in CA. The brake lights must be either the equal to, or to the outside of the tail lights.
Ok, maybe I wasn't that clear. The passenger side wiring and plug will plug into the LED tail light and the inner LED's are running lights and the outter LED's are the brake lights, both are the same brightness.

So, if you purchase a 6 pin plug and replace the 7 pin plug and insert each wire just like the passenger side, you will have one left over, which should be the rear fog, easy enough to test using the multi-meter. The wiring config and colors on each side are the same, but I have seen variances between years, especially on pre 90 models, hence why I mentioned to test with the multi-meter.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 AM

1999 S-500
Thanks, Guys!!

I think the are two choices: 1.- Like 2Phast says, would be to get a 6 pin plug - same as the plug on the rear passenger side- use it on the driver's side, and simply eliminate the 7th plug and fog light.

2.- Modify the existing 7 pin plug with a dremmel tool, remove the plastic guide post on the new LED and just plug it in. Either way, I will loose the fog light capability.

I might do a DIY sticky on this. I am also converting all of the interior lights to LED, including instrument panel and all switches. The lights within the switches are LED already (very, very, small) but I just want them brighter and perhaps I will color code by function. I think it will look great. I am trying to keep from "rice-ing up" - or (kraut-ing up?)the car too much. However, I do like the mods that 2phast has done to his car. And, if it's OK with you, I would like to ask you about your sources - i.e. rear spoiler??

So far, I have changed the headlights from DOT to Euro style, and the overall profile and clean lines of the car have really shone through as I believe that the car's true design in appearance incorporated these lights. The mod to use the DOT headlights - for the US market- really made the car look like an AMC product and barely tolerable from the front. I get a lot of good comments all of the time. This is the true Teutonic look.

2Phast, do you know where I can get the specs and wiring diagrams for the switches that I refer to above? I need to know know the size of this small LED, output, and voltage. Also, since these are polarity sensitive, I need to know how to determine this on an LED. Take one apart- the toggle part- and you'll see what I mean. I do have a stereo microscope that I can use to make the mods myself. Or, are these switches already modified available in the market??

Thanks, Guys!!

Joey.-
Old 11-29-2009, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by Joey6
And, if it's OK with you, I would like to ask you about your sources - i.e. rear spoiler??

2Phast, do you know where I can get the specs and wiring diagrams for the switches that I refer to above? I need to know know the size of this small LED, output, and voltage. Also, since these are polarity sensitive, I need to know how to determine this on an LED. Take one apart- the toggle part- and you'll see what I mean.
What rear spoiler? Are you referring to my 190e? If so, that was an original AMG wing from the late 80's which I had shipped over from Germany. You will need to search German Ebay if you want something like it.

As for the switch's, well the WIS isn't going to be that detailed, so that won't help you. I did take my alarm LED switch out, take it apart and mount a superbright LED in it (my windows are tinted and you couldn't see the original LED). No way to tell much about the stock LED, no markings on it.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM

1999 S-500
I could have sworn that I saw a spoiler on your 500E!! But I guess I was mistaken. Anyway, everything went well with the installation of the LED Tail lights. I did what you recommended and changed the 7 pin plug for the 6 pin plug - leaving me one plug free (obviously). On the LED lights themselves - the new version anyway, the issue was that the rear fog lamp stayed on. I looked at the plug and wires that went to that section, and I pulled out the appropriate wire (red/white) from the main plug - easy to do with a small screwdriver. I ran a common wire to both and touched it to the 7th plug, and viola! rear fog lights on both sides!! Functions perfectly well with the main light switch when you pull it out to the 2nd position. I though that maybe I could even tap into the stop LEDs, but I really need the fog warning lights as I travel in a very foggy and dangerous part of the the Central Valley of California. I can tell you that these tail lights are sure bright.

As far as the LEDs in the switches, I got the right size - 3 mm, but I am not sure of the voltage; however, I assume that they would be 12 vF (volts forward). I know that there has to be a resistor on the (+) side of the led. Fry's Electronics have these LEDs with integrated resistors. Flavors are only red and green. Not what I want. When I get one working I will let you know. This is going to require microsurgery... .

I will probably do a sticky DIY on both the tail lights and switches.

By the way, are you using the "Blue and Laurels" center caps on your wheels? If not, would you like to sell them to me?

Joey.-
Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by Joey6
I could have sworn that I saw a spoiler on your 500E!! But I guess I was mistaken. Anyway, everything went well with the installation of the LED Tail lights. I did what you recommended and changed the 7 pin plug for the 6 pin plug - leaving me one plug free (obviously). On the LED lights themselves - the new version anyway, the issue was that the rear fog lamp stayed on. I looked at the plug and wires that went to that section, and I pulled out the appropriate wire (red/white) from the main plug - easy to do with a small screwdriver. I ran a common wire to both and touched it to the 7th plug, and viola! rear fog lights on both sides!! Functions perfectly well with the main light switch when you pull it out to the 2nd position. I though that maybe I could even tap into the stop LEDs, but I really need the fog warning lights as I travel in a very foggy and dangerous part of the the Central Valley of California. I can tell you that these tail lights are sure bright.

As far as the LEDs in the switches, I got the right size - 3 mm, but I am not sure of the voltage; however, I assume that they would be 12 vF (volts forward). I know that there has to be a resistor on the (+) side of the led. Fry's Electronics have these LEDs with integrated resistors. Flavors are only red and green. Not what I want. When I get one working I will let you know. This is going to require microsurgery... .

I will probably do a sticky DIY on both the tail lights and switches.

By the way, are you using the "Blue and Laurels" center caps on your wheels? If not, would you like to sell them to me?

Joey.-
Hmm, my LED taillights don't have any rear fog lights built into them, just the running lights and stop lights.

All of the switch's I have taken apart already have the resistors in them to reduce voltage, so you can just unsolder the original LED and solder in your new LED. I have not had any issues doing this, but then again, have only done a couple LED swaps.

My center caps are the MB caps w/chrome star, I took them apart and when my wheels were painted, the caps were painted at the same time. You might be thinking of the E500 wheels that were on my car 6 years ago, those and the caps are long gone