E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

You guys like these?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
You guys like these?

2007 Porsche Cayman ~ $30K+ &

2010 VW Golf TDI ~ $25K & great mpg

or

about $10K to get my car all straightened out, that is if I think my Indy really can get everything done as well as I might hope.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Go for the Cayman, I would.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
duh, this a real question???
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
If you want something that would turn into a fun project car...
2010 Ford Fusion Sport.
Has 3.5l and AWD, sport tuned suspension.

All you need to do to take it to the next level in fun is swap over the turbo set-up from the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO as they share the same 3.5l engine

(Beautiful car)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Not a joke

As usual, I really am considering my options before jumping in to fixing lots of things on my car. I would actually like to hear what you guys think about the Cayman and about the VW Golf TDI. I value the opinions of other W124 owners.

It isn't a joke, although the reality is that I probably would not get the Cayman if I did this now. If I hold on to my car doing only what I have to do to keep me commuting for the next few years, however, then I really might go for the less practical but fun Cayman. In a few years I will likely retire and the Cayman would be more likely to be a reality at that time

I am also genuinely interested in the new Golf TDI. I loved a previous Golf that I drove across the country from coast to coast and camping at 11 National Parks. The new Golf is nicer than the old one and the diesel makes it a true contender. The Golf TDI even comes with a lowered sport suspension and bigger 17” wheels. It may not be quite as sported out as the GTI, but it is upgraded from a stock Golf. The VWs are also known for very good audio systems and the Golf hatchback format provides lots of cargo capacity. It ain’t no W124, but it could be fun enough to actually learn to love the car.

I should add that two weeks ago I started commuting 75 miles a day, so the mpg improvement would be nice with the VW. I also already had an issue with my car, although it is fixed now. I am also looking at getting the evaporator replaced in April, along with a leaky compressor. I would likely do the AC stuff anyway, to keep the car for a while for my teenage son.

Anyway, I really am interested in what W124 owners think about the Porsche Cayman and about the VW Golf TDI, even if they are very different vehicles.

Last edited by ksing44; 02-10-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I've seen those Golf TDI's around and I really like them.
That said, I'd get both
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
with that commute, i would get the golf.
that's a lot of miles a month, if the benz is already giving you some issues it is going to get exponentially worse very soon
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
If you want something that would turn into a fun project car...
2010 Ford Fusion Sport.
Has 3.5l and AWD, sport tuned suspension.

All you need to do to take it to the next level in fun is swap over the turbo set-up from the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO as they share the same 3.5l engine
(Beautiful car)
I have read plenty of good things about the Ford Fusion, but I just can't see myself getting one. I think I can see myself in a Cayman or the Golf TDI, although I would miss the W124. I'm really not sure I can do it yet. I'm just not sure I am ready to walk away from my car. It isn't all about money. I truly still love my car.

I have read that Porsche may have created a perfect sports car with the Cayman and that it is a true rival for the 911. To me, the new Cayman is a lot like the older 911 that I loved. It certainly looks like the old 911. For the Cayman, however, I have a bit of reluctance because I never liked the convertible Boxter version. I have also read great things about the new VW Golf TDI.

Last edited by ksing44; 02-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
with that commute, i would get the golf.
that's a lot of miles a month, if the benz is already giving you some issues it is going to get exponentially worse very soon
I'm looking at about $5k this year and then probably about $10K within the next 2 or 3 years. At that point, the car might be pretty good for quite a number of years with only the more normal repairs. There is some joy in keeping the older car, especially because it is a very pretty and special to me W124.

I just wonder sometimes if I am being stupid about trying to hang in there too much longer. Doing almost nothing to keep the car going is no longer an option. I will have to fix the AC to stay in the car and there is a small rust thing that I just think I will have to fix to keep me happy in the car.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Ksing,

What answer were you looking for?
If you want to trade the 124, it's ok!

We can write something for your wife, if you want.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
True, the Fusion isn't for everyone, but something about the look of the car really speaks to me. I've fallen in love with it (front/rear, sides need something more to fit the overall look of the car). I certainly wouldn't mind having one as the Fusion Sport is a pretty nice powerplant on top of AWD platform. I think the car would have a lot of potential as a tuner/project car. I didn't mean to project this interest upon you however, I apologize.

In regards to the two cars you've outlined, I'd say this: what about a middle-ground? A Golf GTI can net you some nice fuel numbers if you stay off the throttle and is a VERY competent performer, especially if you do a little tweaking. My friend has a tuned GTI and it is quite something to behold. We have little trouble taking WRXs.

Between the two, the question becomes: what is more important? A proper commuter vehicle that will provide you with low fuel consumption and low fuss, or a "weekend" car that is a blast to drive around and carries a higher price in terms of consumption/upkeep?

If you can swing both, do both. If not, you really have to decide what is more important to you. I can only say both cars are nice cars and should perform adequately at least in their intended roles.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by 190E 16V
Ksing,

What answer were you looking for?
If you want to trade the 124, it's ok!

We can write something for your wife, if you want.

I think I messed up my first post. I should have just asked about the other cars and not clouded the issue about maybe getting rid of mine. That is a constant question for me. I really just wanted to hear what you guys thought about the other 2 cars.

Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
True, the Fusion isn't for everyone, but something about the look of the car really speaks to me. I've fallen in love with it (front/rear, sides need something more to fit the overall look of the car). I certainly wouldn't mind having one as the Fusion Sport is a pretty nice powerplant on top of AWD platform. I think the car would have a lot of potential as a tuner/project car. I didn't mean to project this interest upon you however, I apologize.

In regards to the two cars you've outlined, I'd say this: what about a middle-ground? A Golf GTI can net you some nice fuel numbers if you stay off the throttle and is a VERY competent performer, especially if you do a little tweaking. My friend has a tuned GTI and it is quite something to behold. We have little trouble taking WRXs.

Between the two, the question becomes: what is more important? A proper commuter vehicle that will provide you with low fuel consumption and low fuss, or a "weekend" car that is a blast to drive around and carries a higher price in terms of consumption/upkeep?

If you can swing both, do both. If not, you really have to decide what is more important to you. I can only say both cars are nice cars and should perform adequately at least in their intended roles.
I think the Fusion does look nice and I do wonder about giving it a try and going back to the good old USA for a vehicle. They are well reviewed and Ford seems to be the one US automaker that understands the new world. they even have a hybrid version, so I could get the much improved mpg I think i want.

Still, I am leaning more toward the VW. I wouldn't get the GTI, although I would love all of the GTI suspension on a TDI. They have that set-up in Europe, but at least the US Golf TDI does have some upgrades to the suspension. I read the sport suspension is 2" lower and that it is standard on the Golf TDI. Actually, I really don't know if the TDI has all the suspension tweaks of the GTI and maybe just not the appearance. I will try to find out more about the TDI sport suspension.

Last edited by ksing44; 02-10-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
CAYMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The U.S. may not get the GTD, it gets 30 more hp than the TDI, 140 v.s. 170.
The GTD has a sport suspension, similar to the GTI, & GTI interior & trim.
Another interesting VW is the Golf R, or R20 with its Audi S3 sourced 270 hp
2.0T & AWD.
The Golf R / R20 reportedly is coming to the U.S.A.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Nice compromise, Golf R.

That would ba fun car!!!

... and you can pack more than a toothbrush for a weekend.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
You know, seeing the Golf R (never heard of it before) and looking again at the GTI, I think I really might go for the TDI with the sport suspension. I truly don't need the HP anymore, even though I am lured toward the Cayman. I love the tight handling, but I want mpg. The mpg in the Golf TDI is especially cool, because there is a potential for WVO fuel. I may never actually go WVO, but it seems like a great alternative.

Maybe I really could be happy in VW, although it still seems like a tough pill to swallow getting out of the W124. My son will destroy the thing and it will just deteriorate, if i don't keep it and go for the repairs. It would be hard to watch it die in my driveway.

Last edited by ksing44; 02-10-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
The Golf R is one of the darlings of the European family car/racer set.
Quite a bit of excitement about that and the Focus, etc. over there.

You might want to just sell the MB? That would prevent you from feeling obligated to continually shovel money into it.

NEW car = carefree!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by 190E 16V
The Golf R is one of the darlings of the European family car/racer set.
Quite a bit of excitement about that and the Focus, etc. over there.

You might want to just sell the MB? That would prevent you from feeling obligated to continually shovel money into it.

NEW car = carefree!
It would be nice to be carefree again. I was carefree in the W124 for a very long time. Just the last few years have been a bit challenging, although it never left me stranded and it has been a joy to own and drive. I have owned it for about 13 years now.

Hey, I am back to me considering instead of just tallking about the other cars. Anyway, thank you all for all of your comments so far. I love cars, especially the one that gets me where ever I want to go.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM

I too did a little research on the TDI & GTD.
I like them.
The 1 concern I have is,
I hear it doesn't make much heat in the cold of winter.
That's pretty important to us east coast folks this time of year.
I can vouch for WV's heated seats though; they will cook you!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by ShoreBenz
I too did a little research on the TDI & GTD.
I like them.
The 1 concern I have is,
I hear it doesn't make much heat in the cold of winter.
That's pretty important to us east coast folks this time of year.
I can vouch for WV's heated seats though; they will cook you!
Important considerations with this. I may not get out until spring, if it snows again. As it is, I will get very good at backing out my very long driveway. I think I may have to call a backhoe to get this snow off the driveway. There was just too much for the plow.

Longing for this.

Last edited by ksing44; 02-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Lovely!
It's looking like that here too.
Misery has company.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM

1995 E420
Have you considered getting a W124 diesel? You would have a w124 with the things you like about them and get the mileage boost. The repair question of an older vehicle would still be there but you probably have a good idea of what to look for when shopping.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:16 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by ronmiller609
Have you considered getting a W124 diesel? You would have a w124 with the things you like about them and get the mileage boost. The repair question of an older vehicle would still be there but you probably have a good idea of what to look for when shopping.
This will be my last W124. I owned mine for 13 years, so it is hard to believe I could find one in much better condition. Of course the west coast would get me a less rusty version. My car is a gorgeous azure blue Special Edition 1995, with Eibach ProKit springs, Bilstein Sport shocks, K-MAC eccentric rear bushings, and 16" AMG Aero I wheels. I don't think I could possibly get a much better situation for a W124, so if I give in I will be moving to a newer vehicle in the future.

My friend has a W210 diesel, but that thing is an absolute rusty mess. Sadly, I doubt I will consider another Benz. Actually, I really don't have any great affection for the look of the newer E-Class cars. The new C-Class looks pretty cool, but I don't think I will be getting one of those either. I think I am done with Benz if I give up on my W124. As long as I have it, however, I am a great fan.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by ksing44
I may not get out until spring, if it snows again. As it is, I will get very good at backing out my very long driveway. I think I may have to call a backhoe to get this snow off the driveway. There was just too much for the plow.
does vw sell the 4motion golf tdi here? that would be helpful in navigating that driveway... not to mention it will have more torque coming out of those 4 cylinders than the benz
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
does vw sell the 4motion golf tdi here? that would be helpful in navigating that driveway... not to mention it will have more torque coming out of those 4 cylinders than the benz
236 lb-ft of torque for the VW V.S. 229 lb-ft for the Benz.
I don't think the U.S. is getting the Golf tdi 4motion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You guys like these?