E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Oil Pressure Drops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300CE, 1984 190e 2.3 (sold)
Oil Pressure Drops

Hey guys,

When I accelerate, my oil pressure drops to near zero and doesn't gain pressure until it shifts into the next higher gear. Also, when on a slope the oil pressure drops and I can hear knocking. My oil level is max and the filter was recently replaced when the oil was changed 2 months ago.

I've heard that the sending unit may go bad...but my case seems to be actual low oil pressure. The only thing I can think is that my oil pump is going out. Is it difficult to replace? Have any of you had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I suggest you do not drive that car until the issue is figured out. These engines are strong, but you do not want rod knock to develop....I hope that it hasn't already!

These oil pumps very very very rarely go bad. Do a search over at peachparts.com I remember reading a thread along these lines a few months back and they had some good advice.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing is to avoid driving the car while it displays those symptoms.

Then buy and fit a new oil pressure sensor.

If the symptoms persist, then you need to get it fixed. That could entail something like an oil system flush (oil change places do this) or be more complicated (read; expensive.)

But do NOT persist in driving the car until you have figured out the problem. Usually, the oil pressure sensor is the weak link.