E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sportline Suspension/Camber/Fat Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88' 300CE, 02' ML500, 65' Triumph TR4A, 78' Datsun 280Z
Sportline Suspension/Camber/Fat Tires

Some questions regarding camber on a 1988 W124 (300CE) with too much neg camber F& R. Here is the status: this 1988 car is now fitted with wheels from a latter model Benz 300 wagon (16x7.5, ET offset, maybe 41) shod with 225/50/16 Goodyear F1s. My last alignment inspection, right before the new tires F1 tires were mounted a month ago (the car still had the original Michelin 215/60/16s that were OE on these wheels) showed too much neg camber all around. Can’t remember the reading off hand, but I will pay more attention to the numbers this time around since this topic has recently become more important pending a full suspension upgrade. As stated, I now have bigger rubber and will replace just about all of the suspension this week: MB Sportline swaybars, springs, struts, shocks, sway bar bushings, F control arm bushings, and R subframe mount pads. I am curious to see what effect all of these new pieces will have on the camber. Maybe new parts will help this, or, since the Sportline suspension lowers the car about an inch, perhaps I will be worse off. The questions are:

1) Do I need to get some of those K Mac bushings being discussed in the MB forum? If so, where can I score the best price? Their home page lists them at about $US 350 (seems pricey unless absolutely necessary for a non racing application).
2) Will this only help the rear camber?
3) What is the acceptable limit for neg camber F & R for this car with this suspension and tire package?
4) Do these fat tires influence the camber further towards the negative?
5) Are there any more suspension rubber pieces that I have overlooked and that can and should be replaced while everything is disassembled?

Any information offered is appreciated so that I can source anything else needed before the job goes down. As a final note and question, it could be that, since the existing clearance between the front tire (225/50/16) sidewall and strut is now minimal, (approx. ½”) this whole project may be at risk because the Sportline struts are a bit fatter than the originals – Will the front tires contact the larger diameter struts? With all of the expense and anticipation, I’m becoming anxious; information for the inexperienced and eager 124 enthusiast is a powerful stimulus. Thank you in advance.

OH, I was at the Sebring race this weekend in my Viet Nam flight suit doubling as a pit firesuit, and would like to share the memory: