E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Ticking on start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E220 Coupe
Ticking on start up

I noticed when the car hasn't been turned on for a couple of weeks or more, it ticks on start up and it takes about 2-3 seconds for the oil pressure to go to rise.
When I start it again, there is no such ticking or delay for the pressure.

Is this a problem?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I would take a guess and say you are not using proper oil filters from Bosch -- You are using cheap aftermarket ones that have no anti-drainback feature. After several weeks of non-use, all the oil has disappeared from the filter and is allowing no lubrication upon startup for those few seconds.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM

1991 300E
I use a Bosch / Mann filter and still have that same 2-3 seconds of ticking on extremely cold mornings. What weight oil are you using? A little thicker blend might cure your ticking. It doesn't mean your engine has no oiling, it's just the lifters making that noise. Even with the proper filter it takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to build.....
Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

1992 300e 2.6
I have noticed that mine does it if the oil is just a bit low. I always make sure that I have my oil topped off. even half way down the dip stick I notice it starts to do that for a second or 2. I noticed it after an oil change.

It never did it until my last oil change. I Used an oil sucker and have never had a problem before with my brothers or the other ones in the family. never changed the type of oil or anything. im going to do a change again through the drain and see what happens...
Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 AM

1994 E220 Coupe
I don't know what oil or oil filter is used, as an independent Mercedes mechanic changes it.
It is sucked through the dipstick.
I will check the oil level but I doubt it is low, as I don't drive the car much and every 6 months when I change the oil, I see it coming out still a golden/brown color, not black unlike normal cars which have oil changes
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Originally Posted by spetz
I don't know what oil or oil filter is used, as an independent Mercedes mechanic changes it.
It is sucked through the dipstick.
I will check the oil level but I doubt it is low, as I don't drive the car much and every 6 months when I change the oil, I see it coming out still a golden/brown color, not black unlike normal cars which have oil changes
No car should come out black....Unless it's diesel...So it's not "normal".

The filter should be black if it is the correct Bosch one.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 AM

1994 E220 Coupe
I checked the oil level and it was fine, and is still light brown and transparent.
The filter is covered and I don't have the tools to remove the cover. Though the mechanic specializes in Mercedes so I doubt he would use sub-par filters?

I noticed that old oil sitting in buckets etc looks black, even from petrol cars?