E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300E Performance

Old 08-18-2011, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300E, 1995 C280
somehow this thread is still going.. guess i know what to do for power options >.>
bsmuwk so jealous you have a 5spd ce..

i've just accepted that the car's 0-60 is slow.. but its almost 20 years old who cares..
its comfier than most cars, and its a damn good car..
now only if i could take care of mpg :P
Old 09-15-2011, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey dumbass.

Here's an idea; If you want to buy a car that accelerates well, BUY a car built for accelerating well.

You're trying to turn a finely honed scalpel into a cudgel.

Here is how to spend your $5000 (5 go fast items at $1000 each)

Buy a Mustang. Add a supercharger. DONE.

Oh, you want a Mercedes. Get a supercharged E55. That'll cut your acceleration time down to whatever you want.

What? $5K

Buy a E420/ 400E. Swap in the diff from an R129.

And quit bothering us with the same questions everybody has asked over and over again.

To sum up.
Get a different car. Or......
Buy a 400E and swap the diff.

Buy several coz you'll likely grenade them. 400Es and differentials.

Last thing. Buy lots of life insurance and make me the beneficiary.

People pay me for this kind of advise. Pay up sucka.....
Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Neanderthal, totally uncalled for. Zach has heard what we all have to say about his lack of research, there's no need to open this thread AGAIN and post your opinion. All while calling him a dumbass, too.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe it's totally called for when someone states unequivocally that "if you tell me I can't do something, I will do it..... etc" Early in the thread someone posted the definition of insanity as repeatedly doing the same thing while expecting a different outcome in response to these repeated queries. Early in the thread. Completely ignored by the OP that was.

Collectively, just here on this thread, we must have the combined experience of over 200 years of driving and wrenching on W124s. How does some upstart get to come here peppering us with questions boldly claiming he can do what our combined experience tells us he can't not qualify for being called names? Nevermind all the time being he is asking questions; not bringing new thinking, or especially out of the box thinking.

Guess what? There no magical elixirs or parts you can add to a W124 to make it go fast. The receipe is well known, buy a V8. All the aftermarket parts in the world are not going to change the laws of physics, specifically f=ma where f= force, m= mass, a= acceleration. There isn't a lot of mass that can be taken out of the W124, nor can much power be added, ergo, you ain't going to change its acceleration much. Especially with that paltry budget.

This is especially compounded by the desire to increase acceleration without sacrificing top speed capability.
Well, that can only be done with more gears; aggressive 1,2,3 could yield great acceleration numbers while longer spaced 4, 5, 6 would still give respectable top end. Or greater spacing between the gears,(By using a 722.3XX from something like a diesel. I believe their gearing is different from petrol models) but that would kill acceleration either early or at freeway speed when changing gears takes you out of the torque curve.

These things are well known and established. No fancy exhaust is going to change that. No iridium spark plugs will change that.

Am I being an ***. Perhaps. But seven pages of defying the collective wisdom of all the people on this thread but him. It has to stop. I don't use kid gloves, and this is the adult table.

I don't argue with people who know better than I do; judges in court, doctor about medical things, accountant about my taxes, alignment guy about my alignment. And so on. Why should he get to? What gives him the right? What exempts him from the normal rules of etiquette (our collective wisdom,) and quite frankly physics (making a heavy thing accelerate very fast?)

Last edited by neanderthal; 09-15-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
You know what? You're right. I agree with everything you said up there. I just think you shouldn't call people names, is all.

And yes, I agree that this thread should be closed.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't disagree.

Hope it gets his attention. Otherwise I can be a lot more, ........um, ........... brusque, if need be.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 AM

124 320ce amg widebody twin turbo, the nail
ok, so ive done a search, and read everything i can.

hear is my question;

can some one tell me how i can make my 220 coupe really fast, i only want to spend 200, or maybe 250, but for that i would want 456000 bhp, and lowered suspension, i think i will start with a cold air intake, and a large exhaust...

Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 PM

W124
My 1992 300e still has excellent condition since purchased. I got it as used from a retired doctor. All of his service, maintenance & repair(minor) records were maintained & positively shared.