E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Ebay Knock off Klann Compressor? opinions please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Ebay Knock off Klann Compressor? opinions please?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...motiveQ5fTools

Above is a link to a compressor Kit. I know it is a knock off. Has anyone ever used one and will it safely work. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks

Gary
Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
It's been used tons of times. I own that set (yet to use it) but it feels very good quality. You'll be fine
Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by ps2cho
It's been used tons of times. I own that set (yet to use it) but it feels very good quality. You'll be fine
Thanks Ps2cho,

That sedan's looking pretty good.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on the "its fine". I used my knockoff first time Sat, worked as it should. If I were using that tool all day every day then I'd spring for the OM one, but for ocassional use the knockoff can't be beat.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E220 Coupe
Can someone post a ebay listing number as I cannot open the link
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
I one one as well and have used it twice without issue. I actually just got it back from ynvdizw124, whom I rented it to over the past week. Worked well for him too.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97R129-01W163-94E320-93500E
I own a set and have used it several times with no issue. But, when you are working with things with stored energy like compressed spring, you need to take all the necessary precautions. And always be prepared and know where to position your self in case something slips or breaks.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by edcarls
I own a set and have used it several times with no issue. But, when you are working with things with stored energy like compressed spring, you need to take all the necessary precautions. And always be prepared and know where to position your self in case something slips or breaks.
Anything that can kill me or others due to my own error either during the install or after I simply will not touch. Makes my life expensive, but I won't mess with brakes/suspension components on my own.

This would be such a situation... However, I really would like the ability to try out the H&R Sports on my car without an install fee
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM

I take all precautions I can, don't have much of a problem when a spring is in the tool while still in the car, and I can have a strut, suspension or car body part between the spring and myself. I am extra careful when spring is out and tool is being used to uncompress or compress the spring. Usually hold the spring in a large vise with a deep throat that "cups" the spring while still allowing it to move. At least if something lets go its blocked from taking my nose off on its way through the wall.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by edcarls
Duly noted. I have an extensive history of "driveway Mechanics" and always take the extra precautions. I once had a jack shift out on me before I had the jack stands under the car but I had a second jack in place that gave me time to get out of the way, after about 20 seconds that one failed too but I had the wheels propped under the car and there was no damage to me or my car, just a scratchy rim and need for new BVD's. Long story short I always go overboard on safety as I value my life and livelihood greatly.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I think my mechanic shop used that tool to lower my ride so I guess you'll be fine with it.

Andy
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i purchased this same unit back in 2005 and have used it over a dozen times. it appears to
be very well made, sturdy, and shows no signs of fatigue....this coming from someone who
is just a weekend mechanic, ie anecdotally. i always try to minimize handling of the spring
in compressed mode, and as soon as I have it in hand, i place it on the ground with the
ends pointed in 9 and 3 o'clock orientation. i release the spring tension as quickly as
possible and the springs never stay compressed more than 5 mins when they are off the
vehicle.

i opted to purchase as I knew going into my project that I would be pickey with the tire/
fender gap, and that it would be a trial/error project spanning months. in the end, i was
satisfied with the purchase of the clone spring compressor.

oh, btw, i recognize the seller of the spring compressor posted by the OP. I live nearby
and have purchased MB and non MB tools from him in the past. he works for MB. good
guy.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM

1994 E320 (current)
Great info Raymond

Thanks a bunch for all the input. I am putting in the order today.

Originally Posted by raymond g-
i purchased this same unit back in 2005 and have used it over a dozen times. it appears to
be very well made, sturdy, and shows no signs of fatigue....this coming from someone who
is just a weekend mechanic, ie anecdotally. i always try to minimize handling of the spring
in compressed mode, and as soon as I have it in hand, i place it on the ground with the
ends pointed in 9 and 3 o'clock orientation. i release the spring tension as quickly as
possible and the springs never stay compressed more than 5 mins when they are off the
vehicle.

i opted to purchase as I knew going into my project that I would be pickey with the tire/
fender gap, and that it would be a trial/error project spanning months. in the end, i was
satisfied with the purchase of the clone spring compressor.

oh, btw, i recognize the seller of the spring compressor posted by the OP. I live nearby
and have purchased MB and non MB tools from him in the past. he works for MB. good
guy.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Anything that can kill me or others due to my own error either during the install or after I simply will not touch. Makes my life expensive, but I won't mess with brakes/suspension components on my own.

This would be such a situation... However, I really would like the ability to try out the H&R Sports on my car without an install fee
I totally agree with your thought process, but the same could go with driving a car in general. At any moment on the freeway anything could happen causing a huge crash..there are so many variables. This compressor has proven itself over and over and is safe enough to use carefully.

If anything, doing the process yourself should feel more comforting...who knows the guy at the shop was having a bad day and decided he didn't want to go find the torque setting for your caliper mounting bolts I'm sure this happens a lot more than you'd like to know...
Old 04-15-2010, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
respectful caution is always good. what I didn't write was that the first time
i used the klann clone, i wore large face shield (woodworking design),
mechanics gloves, and once the compressed spring was on the ground, I
place a large sheet of backpacker's foam over it to help (somewhat) control
flying metal bits should it explode.

by the time I got to spring compression #5 or 6, i was more skilled, and
especially, in working swiftly and smoothly to where I didn't use the foam.
but I continued to wear eye and gloves.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 AM

1994 E320 (current)
Got the tool yesterday and the control arm will be here tomorrow. Saturday or Sunday I will do the job.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I one one as well and have used it twice without issue. I actually just got it back from ynvdizw124, whom I rented it to over the past week. Worked well for him too.
1. it's a good quality compressor.
2. wear gloves
3. take your time
4. you're not going to die
5. watch for the placement of the plates when installing the new springs.
6. keep things clean and organized.

* I always use jack stands when working on my car and a tire under the car . I was working on a mustang and the jack failed and the car almost fell on me.

I've rented and used this same compressor about 5 times. Last time it took me 15 min to remove the springs on each side and 15 min to put them back on. You'll spend most of the time trying to remove the spring pads. Wear gloves anytime you mess around with the suspension because you don't want bloody knuckles or fingers.

When removing the springs put the plates close to the top and bottom and put a little bit of tension on the compressor and readjust the plates. Put a jack under the LCA and lift it to compress the spring. Finish compressing the spring and remove the jack. This way you don't have to do a lot of wrenching.

When you put the new spring watch for the top plate. You don't want to put it too far towards the top because when you install it and uncompress the spring it's going to get stuck on top. Install the new springs with the spring pad on it. It's going to be harder if the pad is on the perch. Have someone push down on the brake caliper so you can have more clearance to install the spring.

That's about it. You should be able to figure out anything i left out.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:24 PM

1994 E320 (current)
Thanks for the tips. I am actually replacing the Control arm and ball joint so that will be most of my fun is getting that thing loose.

Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
1. it's a good quality compressor.
2. wear gloves
3. take your time
4. you're not going to die
5. watch for the placement of the plates when installing the new springs.
6. keep things clean and organized.

* I always use jack stands when working on my car and a tire under the car . I was working on a mustang and the jack failed and the car almost fell on me.

I've rented and used this same compressor about 5 times. Last time it took me 15 min to remove the springs on each side and 15 min to put them back on. You'll spend most of the time trying to remove the spring pads. Wear gloves anytime you mess around with the suspension because you don't want bloody knuckles or fingers.

When removing the springs put the plates close to the top and bottom and put a little bit of tension on the compressor and readjust the plates. Put a jack under the LCA and lift it to compress the spring. Finish compressing the spring and remove the jack. This way you don't have to do a lot of wrenching.

When you put the new spring watch for the top plate. You don't want to put it too far towards the top because when you install it and uncompress the spring it's going to get stuck on top. Install the new springs with the spring pad on it. It's going to be harder if the pad is on the perch. Have someone push down on the brake caliper so you can have more clearance to install the spring.

That's about it. You should be able to figure out anything i left out.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM

1994 E320 (current)
SPRING COMPRESSOR WORKED FLAWLESSLY........FROZEN CAMBER BOLT>>>NOT SO MUCH!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Do you need to remove the strut bolt on the tower? I compressed 8 coils and the spring did not seem to compress enough to come out....

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here because I read you do not need to?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
when i was elbow deep into the front end of my E320, and start of Super
Bowl approaching, i was getting frantic...and annoyed. I encountered
similar, ie I couldn't compress the spring enough to remove.

note the pic, about halfway down, in which I was able to get a bit more
clearance by removing the lower link in the sway bar, and putting a little
downward pressure....while tipping and removing the spring. can this
technique be applied to your situation?

yes, i did remove the nut off the top of the shock as well
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM

1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Do you need to remove the strut bolt on the tower? I compressed 8 coils and the spring did not seem to compress enough to come out....

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here because I read you do not need to?
I think I got about 8 or maybe 9 coils as well. The first time I didn't have enough so I just rotated them as far as I could to the ends of the spring without them getting wedged and went from there.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM

1994 E320 (current)
The only thing I removed before the spring was the sway bar, the brake caliper and that is it. Everything else stayed intact.