E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

ASR malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ASR malfunction

hi!

the ASR light of my 94 E320 wagon came on already twice when i was going 80mph with the cruise control on. it doesn't happen inmediately. it happens around 15 to 25 minutes after i set the cruise control. if i restart the engine and don't use the cruise control everything is fine. any ideas? i'd like to take it to my local mechanic but i'd like to sound a little bit familiar before i present myself. any ideas on what's going on? is it something a DIY person could fix? is it expensive to fix? is there a way to disable it without affecting other systems? etc.

thanks in advance,

carlos
cotovelo@yahoo.com
Old 04-07-2003, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can disable ASR by disconnecting the speed sensors at the front wheels...but you will lose ABS as well and a code will be thrown in the computer and the lite will still be on in the dash. I wouldn't recommend disabling it though.

How is your alt.? My ASR lite was coming on and the car was going into 'limp home mode'...turned out to be worn bushings on the alt...throwing a voltage spike thru the system and affecting the ASR somehow...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Really? You are going to sue corporate MB on an 18 year old car that only needs an engine wiring harness ?

The body wiring has zero to do with your LH (limp home) mode issue, its quite common what you are experiencing with the 'old' sytle harnesses. The wiring harnesses back in the early-mid 90s were made of biodegradable compounds/coverings...and due to the heat the V8 and V12s, and to a lesser extent on the 6 cylinder cars...the wire coverings would dry up prematurely, crack and short out, causing all sorts of electrical problems. And FWIW, the LH mode IS a safety precaution in itself.

Replacing the V12 engine harness(es) is no way a 10 grand job. I can do it for you for a third of that in your driveway some afternoon.

Please tell us what dealer you went to...so everyone can avoid them ! Have you gone to a different dealer for another opinion? 10 grand is rediculous...the car isn't even worth that much today.

If you were the original owner of the car , and this was 2003 again... MB might have 'goodwilled' the fix if you approached it from a less flippant angle. Many folks had their harnesses covered under the original factory warranty. But 18 years later? C'mon good sir...get real.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
+1. Jim.

This guy just joined the forum in May !

I'm sure he's jumping on every forum to broadcast his bellyaching.

I too, suspect he's not the original owner. Probably picked up a "cheap Mercedes", a V12 to boot, and found out he had an unexpected problem.