E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

400E hard start issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400E hard start issue

Symptom: More and more over the last month my 1992 400E has had a hard time starting regardless of temperature. It turns over but to get the car started I have to pump on the gas a number of times to get the car started. It's scared me a couple times thinking I was going to get stuck somewhere. One other interesting thing I found out yesterday though was that if I turn the car to the on position for 10 seconds (which of course allows the fuel pump to run for a bit) I can then go to start it and it starts without me pumping it.

My tests: I did a tuneup first.
1) I looked for the OVP relay. Apparently after reading posts there is NO OVP relay for my 400e and even I called the MB dealer and they could not find one on their parts look-up. But, after reading posts, under the hood in the black box on the passenger side there are some fuses to check and I checked all three. All good.
2) My other suspect is a fuel pump relay. I read to check on my drivers side engine bay right behind my fuse box. I found the green relay which I suspect is my fuel pump relay. Interesting though it does not have the fuse in it though like ones I have seen.

If anyone can chime in with ideas that would help me. I think I am getting closer to figuring this out and am about to go buy at least a fuel pump relay today for $22. The only I am doubting this relay is bad is because the car does start and runs fine afterwords.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:49 AM

More info: what I thought was my fuel pump really is really not since it does not have the fuse in it. Does anybody know where the relay would be located on the 400e?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 AM

I still have not figured out what is wrong with my car....any ideas?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 AM

1994 E420
yes, check your fuel pressure regulator. Not too long ago I had a starting issue with my 420 that sounded similar to yours.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM

final outcome

I just wanted to follow up on this for others to benefit from my experience. I ended up replacing the fuel pressure regulator and after that the car started up just fine after that. I have started the car about 30 times since without any problems. Thanks guys.

On another note....I left the regulator hole open for a day while getting the part and I think the fumes or gas had gone into my air flow meter and toasted it. I idles rough. I tried to clean it first using air flow meter cleaner. Of course I did check all vacuum lines but all are fine. I then unplugged the AFM and the car idled fine after that. Now it's time to look for a good air flow meter.