E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

engine speed way high

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
engine speed way high

i was taken the car for it's smog check when the car wouldnt slow down. i pumped the accelerator thinking it was stuck but didn't help. i put it in neutral and the revs climbed to 4,5,6 thousand and i shut it down. i pulled the air filter off and checked the linkage and all seemed normal. couldn't find a remedy so i put the air filter on and started the car and popped it in drive before the revs got to high. can't see anything obvious. any help or ideas would be great. thanks
martin
Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 AM

300E
lubed the linkage all seems well. any ideas to what would cause engine speed to soar this way. fuel distributor? something attached to the fuel system? wiring? any help or ideas? thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM

300E
hello everyone
thought i would add this as a data point. i removed the air cleaner again today and pushed the air valve down to take a look. guess what, there was a wedged/stuck twix candy bar wrapper between the throttle valve and body!!! it wouldn't let the valve close thus lowering the engine speed/rpms. live and learn