E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

RE:E320 Convertible 1995

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Convertible 1995
RE:E320 Convertible 1995

Hi, I'm new to this site and wanted to ask for the forums advise in regards to bodywork and repainting.

I own a black E320 Convertible 1995 and had a fender bender over the weekend. The damage was on the back right-hand side just to the right of the wheel arch. Dent does not look major but is enough to stop rear window from rising more than two inches back up. As I live in New York City, overall body work is in OK condition. The main body is pretty much intact except for one keyed scratches on rear left hand side and two other very small dents else where on the body. Rear and front bumpers beginning to see a little peeling and probable due to be redone in the next year or so anyway.

I'm looking at three options regarding body work:
1) Get back fender bender area fixed on it own.
2) Get back fender bender area fixed with the front/rear bumpers and small dents.
3) Get the car completely repainted (most likely)

Would appreciate any advise & feedback regarding a complete repaint? Rough range of cost that I should expect for a full repaint? what advise on approaching and handling body shop(s) be it a Mercedes one or non-Mercedes one? If I'm looking for a high standard job for car like this, how many coats of primer, finishing coats and clear coats should I expect gets applied? What are the best paint brands that should be used for the job. Any other relevant tips.

I know for my first post, I'm asking a for a lot of information.
I'd really appreciate any feedback the form could provided, as I try to educate myself on getting the best job done to a great car.

Regards,
BanIrl
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by BanIrl
Hi, I'm new to this site and wanted to ask for the forums advise in regards to bodywork and repainting.

I own a black E320 Convertible 1995 and had a fender bender over the weekend. The damage was on the back right-hand side just to the right of the wheel arch. Dent does not look major but is enough to stop rear window from rising more than two inches back up. As I live in New York City, overall body work is in OK condition. The main body is pretty much intact except for one keyed scratches on rear left hand side and two other very small dents else where on the body. Rear and front bumpers beginning to see a little peeling and probable due to be redone in the next year or so anyway.

I'm looking at three options regarding body work:
1) Get back fender bender area fixed on it own.
2) Get back fender bender area fixed with the front/rear bumpers and small dents.
3) Get the car completely repainted (most likely)

Would appreciate any advise & feedback regarding a complete repaint? Rough range of cost that I should expect for a full repaint? what advise on approaching and handling body shop(s) be it a Mercedes one or non-Mercedes one? If I'm looking for a high standard job for car like this, how many coats of primer, finishing coats and clear coats should I expect gets applied? What are the best paint brands that should be used for the job. Any other relevant tips.

I know for my first post, I'm asking a for a lot of information.
I'd really appreciate any feedback the form could provided, as I try to educate myself on getting the best job done to a great car.

Regards,
BanIrl
Factory paint is usually superior to most paint shops work. Even when done properly (parts removed, body stripped to metal, metal treated, epoxy primered, and painted with a quality paint and clear) there is no guarantee it won't rust later. You expose the metal to moisture when stripped. Any new paint will look good initially but if you plan to keep the car, a quality job will have the prep and last more than a few years. I'd recommend getting several quotes and find a good quality shop who will repair and paint just what is needed. Here in CA a quality repaint will cost $8k to as much as $20k for show quality.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 AM

E320 Convertible 1995
RE: E320 1995 -Repaint

Originally Posted by pifcat2
Factory paint is usually superior to most paint shops work. Even when done properly (parts removed, body stripped to metal, metal treated, epoxy primered, and painted with a quality paint and clear) there is no guarantee it won't rust later. You expose the metal to moisture when stripped. Any new paint will look good initially but if you plan to keep the car, a quality job will have the prep and last more than a few years. I'd recommend getting several quotes and find a good quality shop who will repair and paint just what is needed. Here in CA a quality repaint will cost $8k to as much as $20k for show quality.
Pifcat2, Thank you for your advise, it very much appreciated. It's been interesting trying to get an education on the repaint process and I'm a little a surprised at the lack of straight-up information on the internet. Hopefully, I can get a few more opinions from the form and some internet links on the subject. Any recommendations for NY body shops would be appreciated.
Thanks,
BanIrl
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Pifcat's comments make perfect sense. Unless you WANT to spring large-ish money at your Cab, repairing what is needed and painting there will create a 95% positive outcome, for the least investment.

Don't cover factory paint unless it really needs repaint.

I'd go with your solution 1, unless $ is burning a hole in your pocket...then 2.

3? For the price of a high quality paint job, I'd add a little and pick up a spare Cab.