E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Classic e320 oil leak or my own private Idaho?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
Classic e320 oil leak or my own private Idaho?

Hi again all,

I love my 1995 E320 Wagon but this very small oil seep/leak is killing me. My indy told me that it was a classic problem for my year. To the best of my knowledge there is oil leaking from the rear of the valve cover. My indy, who knows his Mercs, says its the half moon gasket things that it is leaking from. I just got a complete valve cover gasket kit about 2 months ago hoping it would solve this problem. It did not. So I put a bead of black sealant on both half moon things and reassembled. Just went out for a test drive and the problem is still there. The way I know it is there is this oil burning smell that enters through the vents. I looked in the engine compartment tonight and you can see a very faint wafting of oil burning smoke coming up from what appears to be the connector between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. You can see a shiny oil surface at that connector. What I cannot see though is where the heck the oil is coming from. No dripping. Once the engine cools down I am going to stick my fingers in that really tight space between the back of the engine and the firewall. I will probably feel oil below the gasket and half moons. I don't know what I can do beyond what I have done in getting a new gasket set and a new set of the rubber washers for the valve cover bolts. All the bolts tightened up.

Any one out there have suggestions for my next attempt at fixing this. It really bums me out because I love the car but the smell of the burnt oil really takes away from the driving experience. Wherever the leak is it is very small because I do not see a noticeable drop in the oil level. If it is dropping it is dropping very slowly. I would be willing to attempt a diversion technique so that the oil would not end up on the damn manifold but of course I would rather get the leak sealed up. Also, I have done the head gasket replacement thing not too long ago. That was a real oil leak and it was taken care of.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You did the head

Did you do the timing cover.
Wash the engine,avoid the plugs(m104 hates water) let dry and sprinkle talc powder on the area so you can spot the oil.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Most common leak is from that gasket between the upper part and tha lower part of the timing chain cover. Second mst common leak is from the head gasket, usualy near the firewall. I had the first one on everyone of the 3 MBZs I owned. I was abble to fixe it by removing the upper chain cover, replacing the gasket and dumping a ton of gasket silicone around it.