E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Smog Fail - Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
Smog Fail - Catalytic Converter

Hey guys, looking for some second opinions. my dad took the benz to a smog shop and failed - even tried driving it on the freeway first and testing again. We went to a muffler shop to get a new catalytic converter and they said that they cant just put any generic thing on or else they may get fined and lose their license... something or another... and told him to check in with the dealership. after he left, they called him back and said they were able to find one and the total cost was going to be 300 dollars. I'm claiming BS. Are there actual rules regarding what type of catalytic converter you can use or has to be model specific depending on the car or something?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Welcome to California . . .

I have to say that the annual smog runaround is one thing about California that I truly do not miss. What the shop is telling you is more or less correct. In California emission related replacement parts have to be be C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) certified as either substantially equivalent to the OEM part or certified as different, but not negatively affecting emissions (improvements are okay). Most "universal" cats lack such certification because 1), they would have to be evaluated for every possible car they could fit on and 2), California is only one of fifty states, so most manufacturers are just as happy to tell CA to FO. In fact, it is illegal to ship, sell, offer for sale, or install a non-certified emissions control devices in California. You will often see a disclaimer on websites stating that certain parts cannot be sold/shipped to California. A specific replacement part is a different matter as it need only be certified for that one application.

300 bucks total cost strikes me as a good deal for a new cat. You may have to just do it. Welcome to California.

- FD
Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by X03
Hey guys, looking for some second opinions. my dad took the benz to a smog shop and failed - even tried driving it on the freeway first and testing again. We went to a muffler shop to get a new catalytic converter and they said that they cant just put any generic thing on or else they may get fined and lose their license... something or another... and told him to check in with the dealership. after he left, they called him back and said they were able to find one and the total cost was going to be 300 dollars. I'm claiming BS. Are there actual rules regarding what type of catalytic converter you can use or has to be model specific depending on the car or something?
You are in California, so any replacement you use, be it "generic" or OEM must have California approval.

Look at the link below to Magnaflow after market converters and note that they offer a CARB style.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...converters.asp

California law...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...california.asp
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
yeah, I was reading about that last night... must have been 2 years ago or before the 1/1/09 law went into effect becuase last time we failed they just chopped it off and put anything on. retarted california emission laws..
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
Are you sure the cat is the root cause? I've been told by a good source they rarely go bad. Check the tune of the engine and related parts like O2 sensor. Does it have high oil and gas consumption? Does it smoke?

I couldn't pass my dad's wagon after installing new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and O2. The emission levels of HC, CO, and NO were too high even though it ran ok. The mechanic said the motor was too worn to adjust into compliance so I'm doing a valve job & HG.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM

97R129-01W163-94E320-93500E
Originally Posted by Floobydust
In fact, it is illegal to ship, sell, offer for sale, or install a non-certified emissions control devices in California. You will often see a disclaimer on websites stating that certain parts cannot be sold/shipped to California. - FD
I'm wondering if I drive my car out of state (CA), let's say Nevada or Arizona, would they install a generic cat on a CA car?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pifcat2
Are you sure the cat is the root cause? I've been told by a good source they rarely go bad. Check the tune of the engine and related parts like O2 sensor. Does it have high oil and gas consumption? Does it smoke?

I couldn't pass my dad's wagon after installing new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and O2. The emission levels of HC, CO, and NO were too high even though it ran ok. The mechanic said the motor was too worn to adjust into compliance so I'm doing a valve job & HG.

Quoted and bolded for truth.

You should post the numbers and start doing some serious research.