E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sunroof motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo
Unhappy Sunroof motor

Alright, another problem with my 1987 300D (its a salvaged vehicle, so i know stuff happens). The sunroof motor seems to be acting up. it would slide open no problem, it just can't slide close. It also won't pop the roof up. Is the motor in need of replacement or does it need lubrication somewhere? California without a sunroof is a waste
Old 05-01-2003, 02:48 AM

W124
I posted this reply to someone else who had a similar problem:-

It's one of four things..
1) Metal clip inside the sunroof is broken
2) Steel cable has stripped
3) Electric motor gears have sheered
4) All of the above! (more likely if you keep pressing the button!)

Take the sunroof trim off inside the car. You'll be able to see the clip attached to the cable. Remove the trim from the boot (trunk) on the electric aerial side. This is where the motor is. From here you can remove the cable and the motor.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2003, 05:43 PM

1993 Mercedes 300CE
cap'n jasper,
Got another sunroof question for you....My sunroof goes up and down, no problem...also opens (moonroof) w/o a problem. I can close it 85% of the way, but it can't make the last 15% (3-4 inches). I can close it by pulling the rest of the way. Any ideas.....
Old 05-02-2003, 11:42 AM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
The Mercedes sunroof

There are several usual faults that prevent the sunroof from closing or working at all. The problem is, to lubricated all the works correctly, one would have to remove the sunroof! The rails are the wek part of the arrangement. If one rail kinks (bends or buckles), the roof will not open or close. If either of the cables is not equal due to slippage, the same problem occurs. When the sunroof has reached this point, forcing it will cause more damage. It is far better to cut on'es losses and find a mechanic who can repair a sunroof. If he can fix a VW sunroof, he can fix an Audi or a Mercedes. The "special" lubricant is sold to dealers in large containers. If you go to a dealer with an empty film can and hand it to any mechanic, ask politely if he can get you some sunroof lube. P.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:54 AM

W124
There's only one cable.
What happens when it reaches the point where it stops?
Does the motor stall or is the motor still working (and making a clicking sound)?
Is the wind deflector adjusted correctly?
I'm no expert it's just that my cable stripped once so I had to take it apart.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:15 PM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
Originally posted by cap'n jasper

Take the sunroof trim off inside the car. You'll be able to see the clip attached to the cable. Remove the trim from the boot (trunk) on the electric aerial side. This is where the motor is. From here you can remove the cable and the motor.

Good luck
hi...the problem with my sunroof is that the right back hand corner of it caved in...all the other corners are aligned up except that one...well anyways i had already tried to manually open the sunroof from the knob in the trunk but i guess i turned too hard and the white knob part fell off -_-'
soo would anybody know how to fix this or jus let the dealers handle it? thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 03:19 PM

300sdl
W126 Sun Roof:Not Opeiong even Cranking mannualy?

Originally Posted by cap'n jasper

Good luck
Hi, thanks for your instruction on those problems.
I have the problem of opening the sliding/lifting roof. I can not operate it by cranking the emergency crank so I can not remove the headlining/ceiling cover to access the metal clip to extract the cable.
I hear the motor turning on switching so the problems according to your definition will be 1) and 2). Would you say so? If so, what does it mean "Remove the trim from the boot (trunk) on electric areal side.? Could you kindly explain me ? Thank you so much.