E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Jerking on idle-Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420
Jerking on idle-Help!

Hello, first off, I'd like to mentioned that I'm completely ignorant about cars in general.

I inherited my dad's car 1995 E420, it has about 170,000 miles and I'm the 3rd owner of this car but I still think it's in great condition since my father was "mechanically inclined" he did pretty well on the upkeep.

Recently, I've experienced the ASR light problem like most of what I've read on this site which means, a lot of things could be the problem. Anyway, since that first incedent, It has not happened again. My problem lately is the "jerking" back and forth on idle. Not exactly a rich guy so I'm trying/hoping that its an easy and inexpensive remedy for this problem. Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM

C320 300E
Check your spark plug wires

Mine had white spots in places where they had been arcing inside the cam cover! The 3 wires are crazy expensive on the 3.2l engine so I greased them with a Dow Corning high voltage dielectric lube from work. Worked great. I believe Grainger has it in stock.

Also another product is NYE brand NYOGEL 760G
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM

1995 E420
Thank you, I 'll check the spark plugs and wires.. I wonder if that has anything to do with how the car starts easily in the morning and any other times after that, takes at least a few tries? Thanks cats320.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 PM

e400
Maybe you're just driving it a little bit too hard?
My car does this whenever i push it too hard. If i go out and gun it all over the place its a little bit jerky...BUT

Mine only does it on a cold start after running it too hard. And it only does it for a few seconds, right when i put my foot on the gas peddle it stops. And it won't start doing it again until i gun it around. Mine rarely does this though, and as i said it only does it for a few seconds.

And if it ever won't start at certain times, give it a little gas it should start up the second you tap the gas peddle. Every now and again my car is a little bit reluctant to start, but a little bit of gas and it fires right up.