E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Should I Put this in my trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E-42ER White
Yeah the stocks are great i don't need to go loud i want crystal clearity i'm going to install a remote for my bas to adjust it
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Originally Posted by zach1328
Don't replace the speakers, keep the stock ones. I've been told by many people on here that the stock stereo on the W124's suck, but thats bullsh**.

The stock speakers actually have a very good sound quality even when compared to some top of the line speakers.
My brother has an rx8 with a 9 speaker bose sound system, and all of my friends think my stock sound system is better (and ive got one front speaker blown out).
But i also have the 2 small door subs wired to actually play the treble as well as the bass.

Maybe the stock speakers can't go too loud without blowing out, but its about the sound quality and IMO the sound quality of the stock speakers is great.
And you won't have any problems, i say install those subs. Nothing will go wrong for the next several years until those old rusty bolts start coming loose.

I actually find my stock speakers horrible. I don't know what door subs you speak of, there are only 4 speakers in my car. 2 in the front, under the windshield, and 2 near the rear headrests. That's it.

Both are tiny (around 5") and even though I installed the best speakers I could find for that size, it's still pathetic. Even with my 12" Polk Momo sub (mated to a Rockford Punch 500) in the back, I'm disappointed.

However, you just gave me an idea. If I get the inner door mouldings off of a newer W124, I might just install the subs as well. It's tricky since they have to be the exact same colour... That way, I can free up my trunk again and still maintain, if not improve, the bass hit.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Dj Death42er
Yeah the stocks are great i don't need to go loud i want crystal clearity i'm going to install a remote for my bas to adjust it
if you are not going to go loud, then even more so 2 big subs are overkill...!

the stock speakers were designed for the type of music people who could afford these cars 15 years ago used to listen to. for most of us who can afford them now, our music is very different. if i only listened to smooth jazz, classical, or even some light rock or whatever, then yeah, stock is great. but when i'm cranking up some serious jamaican dancehall, the stock speakers are a joke.
my setup is polk db component speakers, on the rear deck i have the tweeters sitting next to the speaker grills. in the front, the mids are in the doors, and i ran the tweeters up to where the dash speakers sat.
i have a small shallow sub hanging under the rear deck, with a hole cut out of the deck so it fires right in.
the whole setup, including the in-dash cd player with USB capability and bluetooth, cost under $600. I installed myself so saved on labor, but i think that's a very low price in order to upgrade the whole shebang. it's not a super high-end ultra-lux sound system, but i promise you it's a milion times better than my old stock 6-speaker setup. at least for the music i listen to, and i'm sure what a lot of the kids are listening to now
Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

2004 SLK 230, 1992 300E & 400E
Hey, I've got the PERFECT combination: Put ONE of those things in the trunk and put another one in the back seat, then get you some of those blue light things and make the whole undercarriage light up at night, then you can get you some $1,000 wheels (make sure and install some really cheap tires on them, I'd go to the tire rental place for those), then you can install some of those pneumatic shocks that make the whole front end bounce up and down until the front tires clear the pavement that you can connect to the Craftsman 3hp air compressor that you have sitting in your front passenger seat (powered by the lonnnng extension cord that you manage to coil up around your feet. That and a couple of fuzzy dice hanging from your rearview should do it!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 PM

1994 E-42ER White
Originally Posted by Shoomakan
I actually find my stock speakers horrible. I don't know what door subs you speak of, there are only 4 speakers in my car. 2 in the front, under the windshield, and 2 near the rear headrests. That's it.

Both are tiny (around 5") and even though I installed the best speakers I could find for that size, it's still pathetic. Even with my 12" Polk Momo sub (mated to a Rockford Punch 500) in the back, I'm disappointed.

However, you just gave me an idea. If I get the inner door mouldings off of a newer W124, I might just install the subs as well. It's tricky since they have to be the exact same colour... That way, I can free up my trunk again and still maintain, if not improve, the bass hit.
Huh four? I have 6 speaker system to in the front 4 1/2 two in the back around 5 1/2 and two subs in the driver and passenger door
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 PM

2004 SLK 230, 1992 300E & 400E

Could it be, for some reason, that they did not install the door speakers in vehicles that were sold in Lebanon or some other countries? Just trying to figure this out.....................?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Shoom,
I think the standard spec for standard Euro cars is far below that of the ordinary N/A models.

ie no telescoping steering wheel,
no seat memory
no door speakers in the lower bins
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 AM

1994 E-42ER White
Originally Posted by 190E 16V
Shoom,
I think the standard spec for standard Euro cars is far below that of the ordinary N/A models.

ie no telescoping steering wheel,
no seat memory
no door speakers in the lower bins
Yeah I had two of these cars and one had less features then the other but both had 6 speaker system
Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Originally Posted by larryj
Could it be, for some reason, that they did not install the door speakers in vehicles that were sold in Lebanon or some other countries? Just trying to figure this out.....................?
190's post under this actually pretty much describes the situation. I've got no telescopic wheel, no door speakers, and no seat memory.

I'm sure it's because my car wasn't fully loaded when purchased new. I've seen several W124's with full electronic everything.

The good thing to this is my car, with a sub/amp in the back and fully filled up tipped the scales at 1550 kgs. :P

Alot of people here with W124's install 6x9's in the rear, near the headrests. They cut holes into the steel to do so, though. I'm not a fan of that, especially since I'm a firm believer you don't need the rears as much as a tweets and a little sub in the front.

My old E30 had 2 Polk Audio tweets up front, 2 Polk Audio mid/lows in the doors, and a sub in the back. That's it. It was the best sounding system if I've ever had the pleasure of owning and listening to.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 AM

300TE s124 E320 w124 project
Originally Posted by larryj
Most US cars I`ve seen have them but none down here,so is not just you
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM

1994 E-42ER White
190's post under this actually pretty much describes the situation. I've got no telescopic wheel, no door speakers, and no seat memory.

I'm sure it's because my car wasn't fully loaded when purchased new. I've seen several W124's with full electronic everything.

The good thing to this is my car, with a sub/amp in the back and fully filled up tipped the scales at 1550 kgs. :P

Alot of people here with W124's install 6x9's in the rear, near the headrests. They cut holes into the steel to do so, though. I'm not a fan of that, especially since I'm a firm believer you don't need the rears as much as a tweets and a little sub in the front.

My old E30 had 2 Polk Audio tweets up front, 2 Polk Audio mid/lows in the doors, and a sub in the back. That's it. It was the best sounding system if I've ever had the pleasure of owning and listening to.
yeah not going to make any new holes or cut out anything lets think of i'm just upgrading my sound system
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM

e400
If you wire the 2 door subs to play treble too its actually a pretty good sound. This just allows you to keep a lower volume, but it will sound louder because you have 2 extra speakers playing.

Therefore, you can still keep it on a low volume, which keeps the nice sound quality, and its still sounds decently loud.
And the only reason the sound system even sounds bad when it goes too loud is because of the bass.

So, if you have subs, you can turn the stereo system bass down low, and the subwoofer level up. If you do that then you're speakers won't be playing as much bass so they will remain a better sound quality at higher volumes. (to do this an aftermarket headunit is required)

With my headunit i can turn the bass between -7 and 7, aswell as the treble. Also i have a seperate setting that will just control the loudness of the subs (i dont have any yet). So basically i can turn the bass down to 0 and the subwoofer level up to 15. Then if i turn to treble up to about 5-7 it should have quite a nice sound quality.
I'm hopefully getting subs within the next month, so if i do ill take a video of the sound and post it up.

Last edited by zach1328; 04-28-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM

1994 E-42ER White
Originally Posted by zach1328
If you wire the 2 door subs to play treble too its actually a pretty good sound. This just allows you to keep a lower volume, but it will sound louder because you have 2 extra speakers playing.

Therefore, you can still keep it on a low volume, which keeps the nice sound quality, and its still sounds decently loud.
And the only reason the sound system even sounds bad when it goes too loud is because of the bass.

So, if you have subs, you can turn the stereo system bass down low, and the subwoofer level up. If you do that then you're speakers won't be playing as much bass so they will remain a better sound quality at higher volumes. (to do this an aftermarket headunit is required)

With my headunit i can turn the bass between -7 and 7, aswell as the treble. Also i have a seperate setting that will just control the loudness of the subs (i dont have any yet). So basically i can turn the bass down to 0 and the subwoofer level up to 15. Then if i turn to treble up to about 5-7 it should have quite a nice sound quality.
I'm hopefully getting subs within the next month, so if i do ill take a video of the sound and post it up.
yeah you can't do squat with the stock head unit but i'm going all out small monitor in the dash with navigation and xm brand new speakers all around upgrading from a 6 to an 10 speaker system hell yeah man also going to get new springs and shocks on my
Old 05-08-2011, 02:14 AM

1986 300e 4dr 5spd
Where do you get 400 watts RMS from 4400? Yes I know that peak power ratings are pretty much useless and nominal power is way less than that but only 400 RMS out of that large of an amp? Just my little Memphis Audio PR1.1000 monoblock runs 360rms @4ohms, about 600rms @2ohms, and 1000rms @1ohm. Even if it's the crappiest brand out there, a 4400 watt, peak power amplifier will be pushing plenty more than 400rms even @4ohms.