E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New to me 95 E320 - Pics , Questions, Couple Issues (Long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1994 A124 the Blue Bomber
New to me 95 E320 - Pics , Questions, Couple Issues (Long)

Hey everyone I picked up a new to me 1995 E320 from Virginia... 150K something miles. Bought it sort of on a whim b/c I love the design of these cars and started off trying to buy a W123, but decided a W124 would be much cooler. Anyway, bought it, then flew up and drove it 10 hours home to TN this past weekend. Awesome on the highway. Its a great car with a couple of issues. I'm a total car nut, but I don't know M-B so this is new territory...

The car is in killer shape. Interior looks new. Exterior a good 8.5/10... needs wheels refinished which bug. Wiring harness and head gasket both replaced in past few years. Throttle body not replaced. Couple of questions:

1) Slight hesitation / missing / even a backfire sound or two at partial throttle between 2000-2500 RPM ... the guy who sold it to me said he thought it was the electronic throttle actuator and/or its wiring. This sound right? Otherwise purrs like a kitten but I"m going easy on the engine until I fix. There was no check engine light.. until I drove it 10 hours, up to 100mph on the highway (got 26 mpg on the trip). Then today, the chk engine light appeared. Does this -- in fact -- sound like a bad throttle actuator?

2) CD changer says "no CD's" even when they're loaded in. It cycles through 1-2-3-4-5-6... gives this message. Anyone know where to get one cheap (its alpine or something in the trunk)?

3) Sunroof. Hear a very faint clicking when its pressed in any of the 4 potential positions. But no movement and I cant tell yet if I hear a motor running Hmm. Cable? I was going to try to see tonight if can turn the emergency crank to see if it moves... then i'll have more info to diagnose.

4) Wood door that slides on the center console -- the wood end piece separated from the slatted piece that rolls up. Wood isnt damaged, it looks like some piece of fabric screwed to the wood rotted and separated the 2 pieces from each other.

5) Have a note that says "Tie Rod end - failed inspection, 2011" . Haven't even gotten under it to look but I'm guessing an easy fix.

6) Where's the best online parts place for genuine MB parts?

7) Floormats -- I'd like some OEM ones. Not crappy. Ideas ? Dealers still have these ?

8) Front bumper impact strip is cracked / has a piece missing. Who knows why. I have one I got off a 1990 (black impact strip in perfect shape) -- can I just paint this and put it on ? The surface is slightly textured, will that work ?

It's going to be a fun project. Goal is to restore it to perfect condition... even my wife who hates every last car I bring home loves it. you should have seen her face when I came home with a half red, half white 1988 M3.... yeah. These pics are from the guy I bought it from -- better ones to come !

- B
Attached Thumbnails New to me 95 E320 - Pics , Questions, Couple Issues (Long)-2671672373.jpg   New to me 95 E320 - Pics , Questions, Couple Issues (Long)-2671672407.jpg  

Last edited by nashvegas; 03-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.