E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Lowering kit for w124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E-42ER White
Lowering kit for w124

whats the best lowering kit for 1994 e-420 my car is dropped already but the ride sucks because i'm riding on h&r Springs that are almost 15 years old and the shocks are leaking already so time for an upgrade
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the day
Harsh ride comes with most all lowering springs.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM

1994 E-42ER White
Originally Posted by bsmuwk
Harsh ride comes with most all lowering springs.
thats what i thought as well but i went out to Lake Elsinore to test drive a 190e DTM it was lower and the ride was lovely at least WAY better then my ride right now i know there are better kits then what i have now
Old 04-26-2011, 04:42 PM

e400
I did a lot of research on the lowering springs a while ago, and what I came up with is that the suspension will affect the ride quality much more than the lowering springs will.

Im guessing the sportline springs will give the nicest ride, althought they only lower the car 1" front and back.
Then i believe H&R and eibach are about the same for ride quality. I think eibach is 1.2" drop and h&r is 1.3"
B&G springs will give you a 1.5" drop but i don't know much about those.
Seems like most people on the forums have chosen to go with the h&r springs, so im assuming those are the best overall springs.

In addition there are vogtland springs and many other that i don't know much about and seem to be pretty hard to find. But if you do find them, they may be better than h&r, idk.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Vogtlands go the lowest. B&G Springs are used by Rich I believe on his white cabrio.

I'd say if you really want to stay within spec, go for Sportline springs + sportline dampers.

Myself, I've got H&R sports and I'm saving up for Koni Yellows.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM

1991 300E
Eibachs are very very similar in ride quality and handling to what was used on the "Sportline" models. They are great springs for a daily driver.

Vogtlands are extremely stiff and I would classify them as a dedicated track spring almost, the ride is not comfortable. H&R's are slightly less stiff and the ride quality is slightly better.

Last edited by John M.; 04-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the day
Originally Posted by zach1328
I did a lot of research on the lowering springs a while ago, and what I came up with is that the suspension will affect the ride quality much more than the lowering springs will.

Im guessing the sportline springs will give the nicest ride, althought they only lower the car 1" front and back.
Then i believe H&R and eibach are about the same for ride quality. I think eibach is 1.2" drop and h&r is 1.3"
B&G springs will give you a 1.5" drop but i don't know much about those.
Seems like most people on the forums have chosen to go with the h&r springs, so im assuming those are the best overall springs.

In addition there are vogtland springs and many other that i don't know much about and seem to be pretty hard to find. But if you do find them, they may be better than h&r, idk.
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Vogtlands go the lowest. B&G Springs are used by Rich I believe on his white cabrio.

I'd say if you really want to stay within spec, go for Sportline springs + sportline dampers.

Myself, I've got H&R sports and I'm saving up for Koni Yellows.
I have B&G springs on my coupe.

If you don't like harsh rides, reserve B&G springs as "TOY" status use only. Not daily driver.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM

1994 E-42ER White
Originally Posted by bsmuwk
I have B&G springs on my coupe.

If you don't like harsh rides, reserve B&G springs as "TOY" status use only. Not daily driver.
well right now i'm slammed i scrape pulling into driveways but i know there is a better ride then what i have now my shocks are completely gone there leaking already so i want to keep my current height plus this is no longer going to be my daily driver....currently look at a 203, 211, or 463? so i'm not to worryied about the harsh ride i know once i put the new ones in then it will improve
Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
this might sound crazy, but i think if you replaced your leaking shocks, your car will ride better
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM

1994 E-42ER White
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
this might sound crazy, but i think if you replaced your leaking shocks, your car will ride better
yup thats why i'm looking for better ones but i like my car slammed i'm thinking of going with vogtlands they look good and not bad in the pocket
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
i bought vogtlands too, but they dropped the front a lot more than the rear, and the car looked really off. they were REALLY low in front, i was tucking my tires, rubbing fender liners, and scraping on almost every speed bump.
I loved the lowness of them, but hated the unevenness of the drop. I hoped that it would be better once i put the new rims on, but the wider tires meant i eventually had to take off the front springs because of rubbing. I guess i could have tried narrower tires with a stretch, but with my tires being brand new, i wasn't going to spend the money on new ones to experiment.
maybe my set of springs was defective leading to the severe back-to-front rake, but that was just my prsonal experience with vogtlands.

here are a couple of bad pics of the drop with the OE wheels, sorry they're all i have access to right now:

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM

e400
You can change up the drop by switching in different size bump pads, maybe if you go with no pads in the back and +1 or +2 in the front it will even out the ride.
Plus then the front isn't dropped to the point where you can't go over speedbumps or up driveways without scraping.
Stock pads are 23MM i think, then you can get 18MM 13MM and 8MM pads, or no pads (0MM obviously) so you can make the stance pretty precise to how you would like it.

The raked look on zed's doesn't look too intense, +1 bumps on the front and none on the back should do the job. Also 17" rims with proper tires should be slightly less diameter than the stock diameter of the rims/tires. So that should solve the scraping problem with the fenders, and if the width and offset are proper there shouldn't be a huge problem.

Last edited by zach1328; 04-26-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Originally Posted by zach1328
The raked look on zed's doesn't look too intense, +1 bumps on the front and none on the back should do the job. Also 17" rims with proper tires should be slightly less diameter than the stock diameter of the rims/tires. So that should solve the scraping problem with the fenders, and if the width and offset are proper there shouldn't be a huge problem.
like i said, pics are not good, the rake was very visible, and not in a 'cool' way. I bought myself a spring compressor and did everything from #4 pads in front to none on the rears (if i remember correctly these pics were no pads in the back, #2 in the front) and it still didn't sit evenly. right now the front springs are sitting in my garage (if anyone wants to buy them holla!)
to reiterate, i think there was something really atypical about my front springs, i don't believe most people with vogtlands see such a drastic difference between front and rear.
you are correct about proper width and offset making a difference though, but sometimes you can't test-fit different options until you've already bought them...!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 AM

1994 E-42ER White
like i said, pics are not good, the rake was very visible, and not in a 'cool' way. I bought myself a spring compressor and did everything from #4 pads in front to none on the rears (if i remember correctly these pics were no pads in the back, #2 in the front) and it still didn't sit evenly. right now the front springs are sitting in my garage (if anyone wants to buy them holla!)
to reiterate, i think there was something really atypical about my front springs, i don't believe most people with vogtlands see such a drastic difference between front and rear.
you are correct about proper width and offset making a difference though, but sometimes you can't test-fit different options until you've already bought them...!
Hmm so all you did is remove the springs to fix your stance? And I do need new spring you got pics?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Dj Death42er
Hmm so all you did is remove the springs to fix your stance? And I do need new spring you got pics?
no no! you need to have springs! right now in the front i'm running cut OE springs, but brand new ones so they were not saggy. i personally am not a big fan of cutting springs, but it was done professionally at the shop of a member here that does a lot of performance stuff, including on his 500e and e55. the ride is great and i'm not experiencing and adverse bouncing or handling issues, and it's been a couple of years now. i also dont drive over 80 or throw my baby around corners, so i can't tell you how this would work for someone who drives hard.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 AM

1994 E-42ER White
no no! you need to have springs! right now in the front i'm running cut OE springs, but brand new ones so they were not saggy. i personally am not a big fan of cutting springs, but it was done professionally at the shop of a member here that does a lot of performance stuff, including on his 500e and e55. the ride is great and i'm not experiencing and adverse bouncing or handling issues, and it's been a couple of years now. i also dont drive over 80 or throw my baby around corners, so i can't tell you how this would work for someone who drives hard.
80 shhhhiii I don't even do 70 man hah our rides can go fast but its about the stance yeah I am on some H&R with slavers I but the springs for a different car so this could be low right now all my tires are tucked