E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 E220 Coupe problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 W124 E220 coupe, azurite blue
1995 E220 Coupe problems

My car (the E220 coupe from '95) is making some strange sounds, any ideas?

When I start it, it runs fine usually but sometimes makes tapping sounds for a few seconds. When it idles after a bit of a drive it sounds like an old Merc diesel with its tapping, but I have been told it's not tappets, but may be carbon buildup.

When I start driving sometimes when I accelerate there is sort of a plastic scraping sound for a few seconds.

Otherwise the engine is very raspy and I have been told it needs decarbing, at 160k miles is it worth it? I can't do it myself.

Also the axle knocks when I turn sometimes, I have been told the grease spot is inaccessible by the garage I go to, this isn't true is it?

And when I lock the car with the fob most of the time the passenger door lock goes only half down and I then need to open the passenger door using the handle inside then shut the door and push the tab down to actually lock. Very rarely it's the driver door that plays up instead.

Lastly the back right wheel tends to rub the underside of the car but not the others, any ideas?

The brakes go "squeak squeak squeak..." when even slightly applied (not one long squeak) but the garage says they're fine. Any ideas about that?

Thank you in advance, sorry I listed so many faults but I want them all to be fixed sooner rather than later

I only paid £1800 for it so what should I expect? I already replaced the rear bumper which had a hole and lots of cracks in it and am replacing the front wings and am looking to weld in a new section on the passenger door (rust) or get a new door skin fitted and painted (or just get a new door but moving everything over from the old one will take a while)