E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New owner of W124 500E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE s124 E320 w124 project
Originally Posted by w124Armo
ASR ?
A traction control system (TCS), also known as Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 AM

w124 500e 1992
Originally Posted by geosss
Ask him. how many weeks we spent on the phone before he got it. If it wasn't to be a respectfull with my baby he would" ve got it . But he proved he deserve to own it so here he is new owner of 500e , I will also keep a an I on u steve. Be carefull how u treet here
You funny man!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 AM

w124 500e 1992
Removed The ARS. Now its fun!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:48 PM

e400
Yeah I'm still in sugar land, didn't notice you lived in Houston.
Ive never ever seen a 500e in person before, so if you ever go to any car meets in the area I would love to see it.

I'd imagine there are less than 50 500e's in the whole state of Texas which is im sure why i havnt seen any.
Let me know if you go to any of the meets around here.

Once i see a 500e my life will finally be complete haha.

Also, since you seem like your a speed guy, if i were you i would change it to start in 1st gear and add an ASR defeat switch.
Off the line if you floor it, the transmission will downshift into 1st gear (Obviously takes time) which will also invoke the traction control (ASR). The ASR limits the torque to prevent wheelspin so it slows you down.

So 1st gear start and ASR defeat will shave a few tenths off the 0-60, but then you get lots of wheelspin when you floor it. But some wide/beefy tires should do the job of eliminating some of that wheelspin.

EDIT: Ok i just read your post before this one and saw you already did so, ill just leave the info anyways. 1st gear start would still be helpful though.
Also WARNING:
Be careful on the U-turns around here without the traction control. I went around a corner when it was wet a while ago (i was going like 15, and it wasnt even a sharp corner) and I slid into a curb. Luckily nothing happened to the car, except my rims got scratched a tiny bit.

Last edited by zach1328; 05-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 PM

w124 500e 1992
Originally Posted by zach1328
Yeah I'm still in sugar land, didn't notice you lived in Houston.
Ive never ever seen a 500e in person before, so if you ever go to any car meets in the area I would love to see it.

I'd imagine there are less than 50 500e's in the whole state of Texas which is im sure why i havnt seen any.
Let me know if you go to any of the meets around here.

Once i see a 500e my life will finally be complete haha.

Also, since you seem like your a speed guy, if i were you i would change it to start in 1st gear and add an ASR defeat switch.
Off the line if you floor it, the transmission will downshift into 1st gear (Obviously takes time) which will also invoke the traction control (ASR). The ASR limits the torque to prevent wheelspin so it slows you down.

So 1st gear start and ASR defeat will shave a few tenths off the 0-60, but then you get lots of wheelspin when you floor it. But some wide/beefy tires should do the job of eliminating some of that wheelspin.

EDIT: Ok i just read your post before this one and saw you already did so, ill just leave the info anyways. 1st gear start would still be helpful though.
Also WARNING:
Be careful on the U-turns around here without the traction control. I went around a corner when it was wet a while ago (i was going like 15, and it wasnt even a sharp corner) and I slid into a curb. Luckily nothing happened to the car, except my rims got scratched a tiny bit.
Im migh be meeting up with another guy name Garry from 500espot.com he is from woodlands this sunday. So if you like maybe you can come allong to
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 PM

w124 500e 1992
Ok when i changed the sparplugs i noticed oil around them as i was taking the old ones off im thinking a gaskets need to be replaced. ???
Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 PM

e400
Seeing 2 500e's in a day, I don't know if i can handle that haha.
But yeah ill see if i can come meet up with you guys, I may be busy but then again i can always make time to see a w124.

There are also a few guys around here that have some clean slammed wagons that ive seen at some meets.
There's a silver one ive seen at cars and coffee, which is an awesome car meet. If you've never been, i would recommend going.
And ive seen a maroon one at Planet Zero on westheimer. (Speedravervroom is his name on here i think)

Also there is another wagon guy (Ameen on here), although maybe that was his silver wagon at cars and coffee. Can't remember

Last edited by zach1328; 05-02-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:23 PM

MG TC
Hello:

Congrats on your "new" car.

Before you even look at a wrench join Gerry's forum for E500E's, you'll learn from the mistakes others have made. Google "500 Espot" and you'll find it. Also, if you haven't, subscribe to the EPC, the Euro version, at $10 a year it is the BEST money spent on your car. Don't forget Dave's site either.
If you really want to go faster, spend the money at a good driving school. I know it's not as sexy as saying "I have nitrous" or whatever people say in 2011 but what it comes down to is if you want to impress people with words or to go faster.

Most of the mods you have suggested have been done/tried before with various degrees of success or failures.
Switchable ASR:You can buy a RENNTech switchable ASR defeat for around $1000. or you can make your own for less than $50. See 2phast's site for a "how to."
Headers:Your car will be lighter, mostly when you enter it with your wallet. Zero gain has been shown in the few people goofy enough to spend the $5000+ on custom (meaning no before-after dyno runs) design by someone who has only a welding torch and a few pieces of scrap tubing. No dyno, no etg, nothing to prove what you are being sold and charged for.
First Gear Start:The best way is to find the correct 400E - E420 valve body and just bolt it in. $350 or so for a good used valve body, a trans filter $100 or so, a new gasket and fluid and you're done. One hour's worth of work at most.
Wheels:I have AMG-OZ 8,5 X 17 et 18 on the front and 10 X 17 et 17 on the rear with 245/45 and 275/40 PS2's. No clearance problems.
Exhaust:You can use a 2 into 1 section to replace the center muffler. Should free up a few ponies and reduce the weight too.
And/or get a Mercedes Euro Non Kat front pipe section and a 2 into 1 center section. Timevalve has the center section for sale at some high price, better to go local and get it custom fitted for less money.
Air Intake:You'll gain nothing.
Plugs and Wires:GET THEM AT THE DEALER, use ONLY GENUINE MERCEDES ITEMS.
The plugs should be non-resistor, not the marketing hyped 3 point, 12 point, 87 point or platinum or whatever. Just cheap standard non resistor plus. On the wires... the after-market, even Bosch, are not the correct length for the M119, spend a few dollars more and get the correct items.
NOS: Bergwerks has been out of business for over 5 years or so but the guy from Bergwerks made a few kits about 6 months ago, get on Gerry's list and get his name. I think they were about 2K but I am not sure.
Also before you start making any modifications see what NEEDS to be done, new sway bar bushings, suspension bushings, engine wiring harness and a few other known problems should be addressed. FWIW, I use Akebono brake pads, no dust on the OZ's after 400 miles !
Also, to start in 1st gear just pull the shift lever down and to the right and then back up to drive, good to 7mph, and by engaging the snow chain switch you'll hold first until 11 mph or so.

Two years ago I bough an 8500 mile 93 036 (E500E's are known as 036's from the 124-036 factory designation) and now, with 20,000+ miles I am doing the following easily reversible modifications:
ASR Defeat - My own design using only Mercedes parts. No cutting of wires, no drilling of holes, etc.
First Gear Start - Valve Body, totally rebuilt.
Exhaust - Euro Non Kat front pipes into a Mercedes two into one "center muffler delete" item, and NO you can't get one. I called in a favor for a genuine item (when the local Midas would have done it for less than 50% of shipping costs alone). I then had everything MCC to prevent rust and preserve appearance.
AMG 500E Muffler - from Japan. This was made in Germany for the Japanese market only and I finally found one!!!
Euro Hella's - the real thing, genuine 500E lights with all upgraded wiring and relays using all Mercedes parts. A 150A alternator is on the list when I find one local.

Kind Regards,

Ron
Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 PM

e400
Nice list.
But i have to say, I think performance intakes with k&n filters will add a reasonable amount of power, especially because it has the dual intake set up.
But then the downside is, 2 performance intakes will be around $500 with the k&n filters. I'd imagine you'd get atleast 8hp off the intakes, whether or not the 8hp is worth $500 is up to you.
2phast said he got 17hp off just a k&n filter on his corvette.

And OZ AMG
You CANNOT go wrong with these rims. Goodluck finding a set though.
Those were the rims i really wanted but i figured I would have fitment issues with the 300e's fenders which arn't flared the extra 1".

Other best looking rims for a 500e IMO are:
BBS LM. I would personally go with 18" with BBS but someone on the forums has 19" which actually look pretty damn good.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...0&tx=130&ty=76

Or these ones:
Can't remember the name sorry, but i think they look great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39774459@N08/4917428829/
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM

w124 500e 1992
Originally Posted by Carbooks
Hello:

Congrats on your "new" car.

Before you even look at a wrench join Gerry's forum for E500E's, you'll learn from the mistakes others have made. Google "500 Espot" and you'll find it. Also, if you haven't, subscribe to the EPC, the Euro version, at $10 a year it is the BEST money spent on your car. Don't forget Dave's site either.
If you really want to go faster, spend the money at a good driving school. I know it's not as sexy as saying "I have nitrous" or whatever people say in 2011 but what it comes down to is if you want to impress people with words or to go faster.

Most of the mods you have suggested have been done/tried before with various degrees of success or failures.
Switchable ASR:You can buy a RENNTech switchable ASR defeat for around $1000. or you can make your own for less than $50. See 2phast's site for a "how to."
Headers:Your car will be lighter, mostly when you enter it with your wallet. Zero gain has been shown in the few people goofy enough to spend the $5000+ on custom (meaning no before-after dyno runs) design by someone who has only a welding torch and a few pieces of scrap tubing. No dyno, no etg, nothing to prove what you are being sold and charged for.
First Gear Start:The best way is to find the correct 400E - E420 valve body and just bolt it in. $350 or so for a good used valve body, a trans filter $100 or so, a new gasket and fluid and you're done. One hour's worth of work at most.
Wheels:I have AMG-OZ 8,5 X 17 et 18 on the front and 10 X 17 et 17 on the rear with 245/45 and 275/40 PS2's. No clearance problems.
Exhaust:You can use a 2 into 1 section to replace the center muffler. Should free up a few ponies and reduce the weight too.
And/or get a Mercedes Euro Non Kat front pipe section and a 2 into 1 center section. Timevalve has the center section for sale at some high price, better to go local and get it custom fitted for less money.
Air Intake:You'll gain nothing.
Plugs and Wires:GET THEM AT THE DEALER, use ONLY GENUINE MERCEDES ITEMS.
The plugs should be non-resistor, not the marketing hyped 3 point, 12 point, 87 point or platinum or whatever. Just cheap standard non resistor plus. On the wires... the after-market, even Bosch, are not the correct length for the M119, spend a few dollars more and get the correct items.
NOS: Bergwerks has been out of business for over 5 years or so but the guy from Bergwerks made a few kits about 6 months ago, get on Gerry's list and get his name. I think they were about 2K but I am not sure.
Also before you start making any modifications see what NEEDS to be done, new sway bar bushings, suspension bushings, engine wiring harness and a few other known problems should be addressed. FWIW, I use Akebono brake pads, no dust on the OZ's after 400 miles !
Also, to start in 1st gear just pull the shift lever down and to the right and then back up to drive, good to 7mph, and by engaging the snow chain switch you'll hold first until 11 mph or so.

Two years ago I bough an 8500 mile 93 036 (E500E's are known as 036's from the 124-036 factory designation) and now, with 20,000+ miles I am doing the following easily reversible modifications:
ASR Defeat - My own design using only Mercedes parts. No cutting of wires, no drilling of holes, etc.
First Gear Start - Valve Body, totally rebuilt.
Exhaust - Euro Non Kat front pipes into a Mercedes two into one "center muffler delete" item, and NO you can't get one. I called in a favor for a genuine item (when the local Midas would have done it for less than 50% of shipping costs alone). I then had everything MCC to prevent rust and preserve appearance.
AMG 500E Muffler - from Japan. This was made in Germany for the Japanese market only and I finally found one!!!
Euro Hella's - the real thing, genuine 500E lights with all upgraded wiring and relays using all Mercedes parts. A 150A alternator is on the list when I find one local.

Kind Regards,

Ron
Thats allot of info man. Thank you. I have allready got in contact with Garry and signed up @ the "spot"