E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Brake upgrades...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320
Brake upgrades...

Dear readers,

After two months of lurking, I've finally registered . Thanks to all the members for getting me up to speed with my "new" car, a '95 E320 with almost 150K miles in very good condition, inside and out.

Everything is stock right now; first things on my upgrade list are a set of BBS 17" RC rims and Falken Azenis ST-115's. I'm digesting all the info on suspension recs, and will gradually decide what to get - with a wife and three young kids I have to make calculated compromises in this area.

I've always been a brake fanatic, and was surprised that there wasn't much info on the boards concerning the Movit upgrade kit; although it is somewhat expensive it looks REALLY good. I'd like to maintain the character of the car, and don't think that the Brembos (although flexible and well-regarded) will fit the bill. However, going with OEM upgrades and adding aluminum brake lines might be the ticket. I saw the cross-drilled and silver calipers on a CLK 55 recently, and they had the look that would be compatible - how do I go about finding if they (or other later model OEMs) would fit under the planned 17" rims?
Old 05-24-2003, 02:35 AM

2005 CL65 AMG
I saw the cross-drilled and silver calipers on a CLK 55 recently, and they had the look that would be compatible
Those are the C32 brakes that will need to be "reverse" mounted. Do a search on this forum under "C32 Brakes"
Old 05-28-2003, 12:28 PM

1995 E320
Hey, thanks! Of course I meant to say stainless-steel brake lines - I don't mind reducing the unspung weight but I'm not that crazy.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can stay OEM and upgrade to SL600 or 500E 4 piston calipers and the larger rotors.

Stay away from slotted or drilled, unless you wants the looks. Solid rotors provide fine braking on a W124 without motor mods. SS lines are a good idea and provide better feels than rubber lines. I run Ate Super Blue fluid with EBC pads, never a fade problem and plenty of bite...even on a track.

Movit , I beleive , is getting out of the MB brakes upgrade business. The Movit kit my friend has on his E500 required 19" rims....but the Porsche caliper looks real cool behind the Brabus rims.