E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300TE clear corners/other questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE clear corners/other questions

Hi there,
I'm trying to upgrade the exterior cosmetics of my '93 300TE. I've decided I want to get either smoked or clear (all clear) front indicators and smoked tails (if they exist for a station wagon). I've also been thinkin about painting the grille black. Here are my questions:

1. Do smoked tail lights exist for the wagons?

2. What is a really good website that I could buy all clears from, and hopefully smoked tail lights for a wagon? A website or a good phone number to call would be much appreciated.

3. Is painting the grille black a good idea? would I have to buy a new grille, or could they paint over the chrome... I've seen the S600 grille on the W124s and it looks pretty good.... maybe that? thoughts? also, how would I go about doing this?

4. Any other ideas on simple cosmetic mods that make the car look excelent?

Thanks for all the help,
Peter C.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

If you haven't added Euro headlights - do it! You'll have both superior lighting and really sharp looks. Clear corners finish out the front end nicely. Be sure to spring for either Bosch or Hella for both clear corners and headlights (don't know if there are any Euro headlights made by anyone else). With the clear corners there can be fitment and quality issues with the cheaper makes. Also cheaper corners tend to have lesser quality locks (all plastic) that tend to fail sooner and cause the coners to literally drop out while driving. Haven't seen clear style tail lights for a wagon, but I'm sure they exist. Try searching ebaymotors in the parts and accessories section - lots there, keep trying if you don't first find what you'd like, inventory is always changing.

Black grills do look nice. There is also an Avant Garde style grill I've seen for this vintage W124 (again on ebay) -or- what you mentioned - modifying a S (W140) Avant Garde grill to fit into a pre 94 W124. Check out the www.meredesshop.com forum - there's a long thread about this mod with pictures as well.

Lowering via Eibach or H&R springs always looks good as well, as does adding 16, 17 or even 18" rims. Just be careful to have proper offset. If you go beyond 215 in width I believe you'll need to roll then inside of your fender lips for proper clearance.

You can also add body kits/parts. Wald makes some really nice W124 parts -

http://www.waldusa.com/W124_EX_(90-95).html
(what I like)

-or-

http://www.waldusa.com/W124_V4_(90-95).html
(a bit over the top for my tastes)

Or there is always AMG; but I don't have any urls for that. I believe there is someone on the merecedessshop forum that has an AMG modded up wagon.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:40 PM

Would it be possible to get the avant grille and have it painted black? I think it looks really nice... or is it impossible to paint over the chrome?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:28 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
Clear corners, Euros, and grill inserts

Autorice.com sells an s600 insert for 86-93 124s. it's a perfect fit and requires no mods. Euros are, without a doubt, the one most significant improvement one can make to a 124. The light output is radically better than the pathetic, tiny, oblong, headlight with plastic "fill in the space" surround. They are all glass and are the original headlight found on every 124 in the world except the U.S.
In the late eighties, the head of the D.O.T. mandated that all imported cars had to have the same oblong headlight as American cars had at the time. Mercedes, Volvo, and others had to come up with a plastic surround door to fill in the space that the original headlight occupied. Performance Products 800-243-1220, and Bekkers Import 800-624-5410 both carry them. If you want to fully convert with headlight wipers, the motors, wiper arms, blades, and lower metal trim panels all come from a 94-95 E-class 124. When ordering Euros they can be ordered with clear corners. A non-cosmetic improvement would be replacing the front sway bar, and even the rear, with the ones from the optional "Sportline" option. Contact me for part numbers and discounted pricing (courtesy of Rusty at buymbparts.com) P.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:01 PM

Re: Clear corners, Euros, and grill inserts

Originally posted by pkmaven
Autorice.com sells an s600 insert for 86-93 124s. it's a perfect fit and requires no mods.
RUN like hell from autorice!!!!

he is famous for burning people.

go to ebay and read a little of his feedback, he's had to add another name because his record sucks so bad.

at bnzsport there is some kind of investigation going on regarding autorice. jaime the owner has been screwing people there. the thread is in classified section

a lot of other REPUTABLE places sells the avangarde grill.

for those other lights you are after try www.bekkers.com

ONLY GET HELLA. they are a reputable company and sell OEM merc stuff.

there are HUGE problems with imitation/aftermarket stuff. most times things DO NOT fit correctly and the material and or workmanship FAILS very quickly.

www.puma-access.com sell hella euro lights for about 330.00 u.s.dollars.

you need euro lights so you can see at night. it is the ONLY WAY to see at night in early w124's.

peter
Old 05-28-2003, 03:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
S600 grill insert for 86-93 124

Many enthusiasts have been looking for a decent insert for their 86-93 124 but no one has yet to offer the S600 insert sold by Autorice. I saw a pic of another 124 with this grill insert and asked where he got it. He told me he bought it from Autorice because he saw the same item on a friend's 124. That person also bought it from Autorice. They cannot keep the insert in stock and none of the catalog suppliers offer it. Look at the picture...it's not an Avantgard grille insert that is offered for 124 after '93. P.