E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

persistent leak under car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 Wagon
Unhappy persistent leak under car

I bought my 1989 300CE last December and immediately noticed some leaks under the car. So I took it to a local independent shop that specializes in European cars. The shop fixed 3 places that were leaking--oil and transmission pans and power steering. I took it back to the shop in May because there was still a leak. The shop replaced one of the pans, but I am not sure which one. Upon returning from an overseas trip in July, I noticed it was still leaking. So I returned to the shop, which replaced a gasket under warranty. The leak is still there and seems to be getting worse rather than better. Anyone have any idea what is happening? Since I am not a mechanic and, because of a disability, cannot even get under the car except to look for oil spots on the garage floor, I can only hope the guys at this shop know what they are doing. If I hadn't already paid these people so much money, I would go somewhere else for a second opinion.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
'90 300CE M103 Manual '93 Alfa 164 QV24 '05 Jaguar X350
Mine is 1990 CE with M103 engine and so would be able to share with you my experience. What is the colour of the oil stain on the floor? If it is red then the source would be the steering system. First to tackle is the steering box. Repair kit is readily available but it is a lot of work for the mechanic. Second is the power steering pump. I have my steering box overhauled but the leak continued. I replenished the power steering oil only to found them draining down the floor the next minute. Cause was serious leak from the power steering pump bearing (the belt pulley). I have the pump replaced (expensive item!) and the problem disappeared immediately. Then a few weeks later I again found red oil on the floor. It so happened that the reconditioned power steering hoses were not fully tightened. Story indicates that some leak is not easy to fully identify in the first instance. Mine is a good mechanic and he had to do it three times to stop all leak. If the oil is dark then check out the valve cover gasket - a new one will stop leak for two to three years. Check out "sticky" in this form about the M103 engine for more info. The gearbox gasket may also leak but normally slow and some special additive (Oberon?) may stop or slow down the leak. Many mechanic would avoid touching the gearbox.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks, QVHK, for sharing with me your experience. If the leak in my car was closer to the front, I would think it was from the power steering. However, from what I have heard, automatic transmission fluid is also red or pink. When I wiped up the stain on the garage floor with a piece of paper towel, I could see that it was pink or light red. The position of the spot was behind the engine. I recently read that a leak can get worse or at least not stop if the bolts are over-tightened when a pan or gasket is replaced. I wonder if that is what has happened to my car. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to get a mechanic to acknowledge such an error if it did, in fact, occur.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
'90 300CE M103 Manual '93 Alfa 164 QV24 '05 Jaguar X350
Try check the dip stick for automatic transmission and power steering fluid and see which one is a more probable issue, as they use the same fluid which is red in colour. You may also wish to go back to the previous workshop and ask them to raise your car and let you see the underside of your car so the path of the oil leak is more visible. Also, all leaked fluid will tend to flow or blown to the rear of the engine before falling to the ground.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will go back to the shop as soon as I can.