E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Kombi Dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Kombi Dilemma

As the founding member of the Kombi's Uber Alles club, I face a difficult decision... fix my beloved kombi, or donate it to NPR.

My kombi sat parked in my parents driveway for a few years while I worked in Alaska and it didn't get driven as much as I had wanted. This last 4th of July I flew home and drove my Kombi back to San Diego where I was transferred to and am currently working.

Good news is the car drove great with a full load, and most of my trip from WA to San Diego was averaging 80mph with no problems. I actually drove "non stop" from Portland, OR to SD only stoping for fuel

Having my Kombi back in my life has been great, especially after driving my Cummins for 3 years as a DD. This car makes a lot more sense running errands as compared to a lifted 3/4tn diesel 4x4 truck.

Bad news now is I think my TE might have a bad cylinder head gasket The oil leak is pretty bad and when I went to check for a source today I found coolant on the tray under the engine. No water in the oil or oil in the coolant so the performance is unaffected right now, but I am sick of oil stains.

I'd love to add a TT kit to my TE but I think the days of finding a kit for this car are behind us.

Repowering the car with another engine has crossed my mind but I do not know of any good parts yards down here in my new home of San Diego.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get a car repainted here? After 3 years of sitting in my parents driveway, this Kombi could use a respray.

As much as I love this car, the costs of fixing it are starting to equal a newer MB such as a R129 or w210 Kombi.

Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
When I my Sportline needed a headgasket (98k)
I asked the inde about how to best add some power to that motor.

He said, do the valves, bring it back to original specs for an extra 10-20% more power than you were seeing.

That is true.

But all these cars are probably like little ticking-time-bombs of checklists.

And at losing the founding member of Kombi's Uber Alles, but that will continue on.

IF these wagons could be found in uncommon order, I'd probably drive them for another 10 years, but it is getting harder to find nice ones.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know it's faults, foibles, and problems. You know it's maintenance history, and ONLY YOU can decide if putting $3000 into it now and a few hundred a year for the next few years will be worth it.

I know in the car I just bought that the car is in such great shape that I am literally looking for another cheap car do drive as a commuter; to just mothball this one and baby it for the next decade or two. So I might end up buying two cars in a one month period, just to keep this one in the shape it's in.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go in....
Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Keep the magic going as there's so little of it left for the W124 kombi these days. In my opinion only the 2012 W212 E63 wagon has it over a good W124 wagon, so in comparison, $3K is less than a couple of months payments to keep the drive alive.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Keep it. I have a wagon fetish myself and SEVERELY regret letting go of my old Touring.

Besides, you're the founding member of the group. Selling your car to get another is akin to the CEO of Coke having a diet Pepsi with his lunch.