E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

94-5 bi-xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 E55, w124 wagon
94-5 bi-xenon headlights

Anybody here that has any feedback on the units sold on ebay? Unit is said to include connectors, harness adapter and bulbs. I've read the pros/cons on the depo & stock euro bosch/hella lights. I've also read Daniel Stern's content. Future may see the installation of higher gauge wires & relays, but for now I'm looking for a simle plug & play to get me out of the darkness. Thanks, in advance.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by tym4rnr
Anybody here that has any feedback on the units sold on ebay? Unit is said to include connectors, harness adapter and bulbs. I've read the pros/cons on the depo & stock euro bosch/hella lights. I've also read Daniel Stern's content. Future may see the installation of higher gauge wires & relays, but for now I'm looking for a simle plug & play to get me out of the darkness. Thanks, in advance.
Those are Asian made euro's with HID's retrofitted into them. Nothing is done to the halogen flutting on the lenses. If you use something like this, your going to be throwing light all over the place and blinding on-coming traffic.

There are technic's that can be utilized to put HID's into euro headlights properly, but it requires projectors and extensive work to the euro lenses to polish out the flutting.

This is the proper way to install HID's and is probably the best installation I have seen.

http://kamran1860.tripod.com/n_xenon_e.htm
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
Wow, that's SUPERB! I'd have so done this...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM

w210 E55, w124 wagon
Ah yes, the fluting. Think I'm gonna pass on the plug & play kit and thanks for the info on the 211 light upgrade.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 AM

1989 230E
Hi guys,

Can you please take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVPCkQQ9Zc video on YT re: Bixenons on the w124.

My understanding is that if you will not put projector lenses, and just upgrade the H4s to Xenon, then this should work. Or am I missing something?

If not, please educate me.

Thanks much!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
It is possible, no one is saying it isn't. What is being discussed is whether or not it is a good idea and whether or not it is safe in terms of beam shape and light dispersal.

I've heard both sides of the issue and both sides have merit. I also have seen some pretty convincing photos from some users who have done HIDs in the w124 glass Euro housings combined with bulb shrouds and have taken pictures to show pretty clean cut-offs. However, this still may lead to blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by pparado
Hi guys,

Can you please take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVPCkQQ9Zc video on YT re: Bixenons on the w124.

My understanding is that if you will not put projector lenses, and just upgrade the H4s to Xenon, then this should work. Or am I missing something?

If not, please educate me.

Thanks much!
That video is a good example on how to NOT install HID's into your car. Nor does it show any type of light distribution pattern or cut off. The brief cut scene of the light (in the daylight) projected 20 feet into the garage is insufficient to render any type of judgement on the feasibility of using shrouded HID burners.

I personally have not used a shrouded HID burner, but I have seen several installed in other cars (that use halogen flutted lenses). None that I have seen equalled a proper HID projector setup. But when the shroud was in use, the light pattern was more controlled (versus no shroud at all).

These look interesting and would get you about 75% of the way there, you would only be left with dealing with the flutting

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Ballasts-H4...item3a6ccc11ea

Last edited by 2PHAST; 11-16-2011 at 09:19 PM.