E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Looking to buy 92 400e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 400e
Looking to buy 92 400e

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get this 1992 400e off craigslist.

Has 124K, no modifications that I know of.

The only issue identifed by the seller is the ASR light.

When I asked about it, he responded with the following:

"The low cost stuff is usually the brake light switch connected to the brake pedal (I replaced that) or a bad connection in one of the control modules under-hood (I checked all the modules, no obvious problems or bad connections).

Usually the next candidate is the Electronic Throttle Actuator (ETA). On cars with ASR, the throttle has an electronic controller to facilitate traction control. The wiring to the ETA suffers from the same heat-induced insulation problems as the main engine harness (engine harness was already replaced on my car), causing some confusion in the traction control system. The failure mode is a "limp mode" with the ASR lamp illuminated, reduced power, and some throttle/shifting changes.

The solution is to either replace or rewire the ETA. A used ETA is about $250 -- $300. Having the wiring repaired runs about the same, but obviously requires the car to be out of commission for a while. The ETA is located on top of the engine, removing and replacing it is a couple of hours.

With the weather and my work schedule, I just haven't had a good opportunity to get this taken care of. Plus, the car is perfectly drivable, so I haven't been that pressed.

The car has never overheated. I got a small crack in the neck of the radiator this summer and had it replaced, along with new radiator hoses."

Here are some pictures, they looked pretty good.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dbrande...eat=directlink

What should I know about purchasing this car? He is selling me a line of BS or is his response reasonable?

He is the third owner, said the second owner was a GM at a local MB dealership.

He is asking $3400 obo.

Thanks in advance,

DcScrap
Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Your link appears to be broken.

$3400 sounds about right.

If you are serious about it, take the car to an independent MB shop for a pre-purchase inspection. I cannot stress this enough!

An ETA module is about $750 new, and hard to find used

If its beautiful and that is the only problem, it sounds good, but usually you can expect to pay 4 or 5 Grand, immediatly, to bring these cars up to snuff..

They can cost many times their value in repairs, very easily.

Spend the $150 to save yourself heartache and thousands of $$$.

That being said, they are wonderful cars and you will love it if it's a good one!!!

Good luck
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It could be the neutral lock-out switch under the car too...its usually never any of the modules in my experience.

I have a good used ETA from my 500E...I bet it'll work on yours if you find that is the problem (it could very well be too) The heat these motors throw off often burns up the internals on the ETA....and of course, most of the engine wiring too.

124K is just broken in....sounds like a decent buy even with the needed repair. Figure on it going over 200K miles easy once the electrical issue is ironed out.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost bought it a year ago. Price is $2900 now.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...869348861.html