E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz e 320
Speakers

My front tweeter speakers are blown and i am looking to replace them and when i installed me receiver the installer gave me the car with non working door speakers. Does anybody know how to access these speakers? Also does anybody know the size...im looking to replace...any suggestions?

thanks

Merk
Old 07-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Jer

1994 E320
Are you referring to the speakers on top of the dash?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 AM

mercedes benz e 320
speakers

yes in dash speakers and in door speakers. How to reach and open without braking plastic. What sizes are these speakers? Both?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Jer

1994 E320
I don't know about the door speakers (I'd guess remove the door lining), but as for the dash speakers, remove the strip next to the speaker grille. There are some screws which release the speaker. I forget the exact steps, but if you provide me w/ your e-mail add., I can e-mail you instructions from the service manual.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:32 AM

1992 300 E
speaker

Try this site; http://www.mercedesshop.com/w124_stereo_removal.htm

from John elliot

Step 1 – Dash Speaker Removal
The grills for the front dash speakers are held down by 2 screws, which are hidden by a plastic strip. This strip must be pried up from the front. The plastic strip is thin, with a downward protruding hook that must be released. Take care not to damage the dash vinyl – better to break the strip in the removal process than to cut or puncture the dashboard!
Once the strip is removed, the grill area exposed shows the 2 screws that had been concealed by the strip. One screw is vertical at the front of the dash, the other nearly horizontal at the rear (closest to the windshield). After these are removed, the grill can be lifted up by the strip area and pulled out by moving it toward the center of the car. There is a thin strip of foam on the outside surface of the grill edge by the windshield pillar – usually the glue is old and the foam will fall off, but can be easily re-attached later.
After the grill is removed, the dash speakers are exposed to view. The speakers are not screwed into the dash. They are held in place by a tab and 2 spring clips attached to the speaker. The two spring clips are identified by little markings that look like a box with a circle in the center. [[0]]. The area with no marking is where the fixed metal tab is located. If you are saving the speakers for some reason, removing the speakers requires a very thin screwdriver inserted at one of the [[0]] marks, to compress the spring clip, and prying up at the two [[0]] marks to lever the speaker out of the dash. If you no longer need the speakers, tear out the cone material and grab the speaker frame between the two [[0]] marks to pry it out of the dash. NOTE: the speakers can be held in the dash quite firmly. Stereo installers have told of amateurs breaking their windshields by the sudden release of the speaker, and recommend putting several layers of towels or padding between the speaker and windshield before attempting removal. The speaker is an odd size, slightly larger than 4 5/8” (119-120 mm).
The wiring to the speakers can be clipped off with wire cutters, or, a short distance from the speakers behind the dash there are euro plugs for each speaker wire.

The strip on the part of the grills closest to the center of the dash must be removed to expose the grill screws. This is done by prying up the front of the strip.

The strip is held to the grill by a tab in back, friction plugs in the center, and a hook at the front.

Once the strip is removed, 2 screws hold the grill in place. The one closest to you is mounted vertically, the one closest to the windshield is horizontal. Once these are removed, the grill can be lifted at the edge where the screws are, and slid towards the center of the dash for removal.

The front speaker is held in the dash by one metal tab and two spring clips.

The location of the spring clips is marked by symbols that look like boxes with circles in the center. The metal tab doesn’t have a marking.

The speaker is pried out of the dash at the spring location with thin screw drivers, or the paper cone may be removed and the speaker removed by pulling up on the exposed speaker basket between the spring clips. Padding and care should be employed to avoid damaging the windshield when the speaker pops out!

Rear Speaker Removal

The grills for the rear speakers are not held on by screws, but by clips on the grill edge closest to the rear headrests, and by plastic tabs at the outside (headliner) edge of the grill. The plastic can become brittle with age, so a certain degree of care must be used in removal. Rather than prying them off from the front, Mercedes has thoughtfully provided holes in the metal of the rear shelf where the securing clips can be accessed from below. Looking in the open trunk, it is easy to view the speaker grill through the rear window and see the hole in the metal parcel shelf inside the trunk. Get in the trunk, and with a flashlight and screwdriver you can see the underside of the grill and the metal clip. Gently push slightly up and towards the center of the car on the metal clip from below. This will free up one corner of the grill. Then get in the back seat and gently pry up the front corner of the grill, by the headrests and seat back (The headrests should be up while you are doing this). Once the headrest edge of the grill is loose at front and rear, the grill can slide towards the center of the car, allowing the plastic tabs to be released from the headliner area.
Speaker removal is literally a snap. Several plastic tabs hold the speaker in a plastic frame. Releasing the tabs releases the speaker. The speaker wires are similar in layout as in the dash, with euro connectors a short distance from the speakers. This speaker is also an odd size – 5 1/8”. 127 mm.

This is a rear speaker grill as seen from the bottom. A number of plastic tabs and 2 metal reinforced tabs hold the grill on the deck. The easiest way to remove the grill and avoiding breaking the brittle plastic is by pushing up on bottom of the metal tab shown in lower center. This is best done from inside the trunk.

From inside the trunk you can see the bottom of the speaker at the upper rear corners of the trunk. A small hole is visible in the sheet metal where it curves toward the speaker well. Using a flashlight and screwdriver, you can push up gently on the bottom of the grill tab until it moves up about ¼”. Then, from inside the rear seat area, the grill edge can be tilted up, and the grill pulled out toward the center of the car for removal.

The rear speaker is held in a plastic frame by flexible mounting clips, no screws or springs.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:06 AM

mercedes benz e 320
thanks for all the help with the front speakers ..but i still can't figure out how to open the door speakers...anyone know how? thanks
Old 07-08-2003, 04:09 AM

mercedes benz e 320
to jer...my email address is merkman320@yahoo.com Thanks for the instructions for the door speaker and front speaker removal