E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

removing AT modulator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
removing AT modulator

Hi all,

I have been working at adjusting shifting on a 95 E320 wagon. 722.369 transmission.

The modulator housing broke yesterday while removing the cap.

has anyone removed one of these, I see pictures with a pin and it looks like it presses into the housing? I'd just like to hear something before digging in, its hard to see up in that cavity where its located.

I suspect this modulator has been causing some shifting issues,

Shifts longer going into 3rd, and unless I tighten the modulator enough it slips in 3 and 4 going up hills if I lean into it. but, after tightening it shifts hard in 1and 2, bumps on rolling up shifts, looser modulation also causes the down shifting into 2cnd to be very late and it lingers out of gear.

Thank in advance,

Paul
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E
Two bolts (M5 socket head cap screws?) to get it out, make sure you get new orings, nothing is pressed in. Its basically a vacuum controlled needle valve. I recommend cutting the ears off the new cap before you install it, otherwise you basically destroy it every time.

2-3 shift problem is corrected by installing a updated spring in the valve body, also easy. Do a search and it should come up.

Sounds like the trans maybe going, as the clutches wear and clearance increases it takes more pressure to make the trans operate so it does funny things.