E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A disc in time saves..........a crapload of damage later.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
A disc in time saves..........a crapload of damage later.

Hi Fellas,

I decided to post this as a separate topic even though my original Flex Disc post is not that old. The attached pictures will show why regular maintenance should include checking the condition of the flex discs".

Now in this instance I have been fortunate because I noticed the front flex disc was looking crappy last time "Hilde" was up on the hoist. In fact it may have lasted longer but the condition was clearly evident after removal.

The risks I assure you can be as simple as being stranded with no way of transferring power to the wheels but worse a catastrophic separation at high speed invites all sorts of horrors.

The moral of the story is clear.
CHECK YOUR FLEX DISCS REGULARLY - THE EFFORT IS NOT WASTED

New Discs waiting for install (Lemforders)
A disc in time saves..........a crapload of damage later.-img_1315b.gif

The old front flex disc - some sleeves just stayed put when the disc came out.
A disc in time saves..........a crapload of damage later.-img_1389b.gif

Side by Side - the old and the new !
A disc in time saves..........a crapload of damage later.-img_1391b.gif
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM

88 W124 300CE
EEEEEkkkkk this is what can happen if you don't ~!

Here's some pictures I found showing what a failed flex disc can do !
The car was an 1986 300D. The disc failed on the highway at under 60mph (< 100kmh). Mein Gott in Himmel !
Credit to dieselgiant.com for putting this up on line !

Here is the font driveshaft where it use to connect to the flex disc. You can still see 2 of the bolts and collars still on the yoke.
All three arms of the yoke are twisted like taffy. Huge moment forces were at work here to do this damage.
The rear driveshaft was fine and only the front section will need to be replaced.

This is what the driveshaft will do to your car. It sliced a hole in the transmission tunnel, twisted the transmission side yoke and even torn one of the holes apart.
Also it disintegrated the flex disc. destroyed the transmission mount, broke the aluminum mount that is ON the transmission and twisted the transmission cross member.
Also do you see any transmission linkage??

Ahh here is that darn shift linkage. Yes that use to be straight and have clips and bushings. The linkage was twisted around the yoke.
All this damage just from a little flex disc failing. Yes. The worst part is the mount that is made on the transmission was snapped off.
So out comes the transmission? Well not really. Fortunately the rear of the MB transmission will come off without removing the whole thing.
These transmissions have a bolted plate on the rear that contains the mount ear.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
That is slightly horrifying. My flex disc was about as bad as yours, if not slightly worse. I was saved by the bell on that one.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM

88 W124 300CE
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
That is slightly horrifying. My flex disc was about as bad as yours, if not slightly worse. I was saved by the bell on that one.
Yes Saijin - I really think it is one of the red flag items that should be checked every time you do an oil change !
You just never know how bad the thing is until you visually verify it.
Just glad mine didn't destruct like the one in those photo's !