E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New guy with a new toy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300d
New guy with a new toy

So I picked this up last week Never owned a benz and NEVER owned a diesel before But I think I may be in love ...... His name is MACK and he is a 1990 300d with 225k and drives nicer then most new cars. I like him so much I parked my 2011 f-150 then again my f-150 burns $20 a day in gas I put $20 in mack last friday and a week later still have a little left

Only thing going on is after a few days of driving I have noticed that when mack shifts from 2nd to 3rd sometimes there is a slight slip in the tranny but the weird thing is its only on upshift. He downshifts fine?? Also if I drive like mrs daisy there is no problems ..... I looked around on here and seems to be quite a few different things it could be. But with 225k and for what I got him for if I have to stick a transmission in him I am still okay with it
Attached Thumbnails New guy with a new toy-download.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
congrats on the car are you going to keep him stock or will you be giving him new toys
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
For future reference, take all other shots from the passenger front, so we can all see that sexy vented diesel front fender

Could be slippage due to bands (rebuild) or it could just be in need of a fluid/filter change.
I honestly don't know how to tell the difference.

Enjoy the w124! Excellent cars.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by jbsmith44
Only thing going on is after a few days of driving I have noticed that when mack shifts from 2nd to 3rd sometimes there is a slight slip in the tranny but the weird thing is its only on upshift. He downshifts fine??
I'd bet on it being a shift flare that you might be able to correct with a vacuum modulator adjustment. I remember the diesel is a little different, but below are some links to old threads related to dealing with the issue for my gasser.

My thread at peachparts

My thread at mbworld
Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM

1990 300d
Well for now I ordered a updated grille but a tasteful one. Also after looking around under the hood noticed that the throttle linkage has a ton of play in it so That will be the first project is ordering the new ends for the linkage and well as the cable looks to be shot. But I plan on doing some nice 18 wheels with new rubber a nice tint job and some lowering springs over time. But first I want her to be mechanically perfect before I dive into all of that. I really never though I would enjoy a little car so much...... I think I stole her I only paid $1600 for her

I plan on doing a transmission fluid and filter change within the next week or so. As for this adjustment you had mentioned where could I read up on that? is it the cable that runs under the car to the transmission with the green box on the side?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by jbsmith44
I plan on doing a transmission fluid and filter change within the next week or so. As for this adjustment you had mentioned where could I read up on that? is it the cable that runs under the car to the transmission with the green box on the side?
I sent this as a PM too. The second page of my peachparts thread had a picture I took of the white plastic cap on the transmission. It was on the driver's side of the car. Mine was a gasser, however, so your diesel may look a little different. In fact, I think yours is green, based on the pictures I found at the links below.

My 2nd page at peachparts

diesel transmission adjustments

peachparts diy-links-transmission
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 PM

1990 300d
Thank you for the info ..... sorry I was on my phone before and it did nto show those pics. Not sure why but there was nothing. I just finished working on my other toy I have a lifted wrangler I rock crawl with so this may be a Sunday project for me and my two year old who already has a deep passion for all things that go vrooooooom!