E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1994 E320 ASR Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Mercedes e320
1994 E320 ASR Problem

Hi guys, I am having a troubling problem im hoping someone can help...

I have a 1994 E320 and i've been having some trouble with the ASR light for quite some time now, let me explain what has been going on. The car was having a idle/stalling problem in november of last year and it was so bad it was stalling whenever the car was in gear (no matter what gear I was in). The only way I could keep the car running was to put my left foot on the brake and my right on the throttle and keep the revs at 1000. I took it to a certified Mercedes repair shop and had them look at it and here is what the did...it had a vaccuum leak, the water temp sensor, and they removed and cleaned the throttle body. I got it back and it still was idleing a little rough but was not stalling anymore, the check engine was still on as it came on around october of 2011 (assuming it is a O2 sensor gone bad, i have one to change it). In January i got the rear shocks replaced and the exhaust repaired (new catalytic, and sport muffler) and in march i got the rotors and pads replaced on all wheels (without replacing the sensors). Around 2 weeks after that the ASR light started to come on after driving for a little while nothing resulted from it except my ABS and Traction contol would stop working when ever the light is on. Now the ASR light comes on very easily, if you try to move the car from a cold start without letting it warm up the light comes on instantly but if you let it get to 80 degrees C it is less likely to come on unless you drive it hard (hard on the brakes and throttle-especially the throttle) or if you are sitting idle and rev it hard. The problem is what it does when you are driving, once it comes on and you are slowing to a stop it is very hard to idle down...it almost feels like the car its still trying to accelerate slightly while you are braking. The lowest it will idle down to it 1000 rpm until you come to a complete stop then it will go to 700 or 800 and stay at a constant idle. Now if i threw it in park it would bounce up and down for 600-1300 rpm but if I revved it to 3500 and let it settle it would idle at 700. It bounces around from 600-1300 also from a cold start and after it warms for 10 mins or so it settles to 700. The only time it stalls now if i have drivin it hard both throttle and brake and come to a complete stop for more than 5 sec. Also if you rev it from under the hood it revs normal except if you hold the idle at about 1300 from under the hood it will stick there...if you go in the car the pedal does nothing until you really get on it and if i were to put it into gear it would settle to 800 rpm, put it back into park and it goes back to 1300rpm (only shutting off the car resets it) I wont put any ideas into your heads of what I think it is because I want to hear what the experts have to say. I have tried to include ever tendency that the car is displaying to me, i apologize if it is jumbled but it is a lot to tell haha I really appreciate your time and comments!