E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Batteries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
Batteries

I have a factory Mercedes battery in my car. I was wondering if there are advantages of replacing it with a factory battery or an Optima.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
No problem, since batteries are third party parts anyway.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
I live in what is likely one of the harshest climates for batteries, the Sonoran Desert. I have had both Optima and conventional batteries in my MBs for many years, and there really seems to be no difference in regular form factor (stock sizes). What I do like to do though is put the battery for a diesel car in my gasoline cars, they seem to last much longer and are usually only $10 more.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

320CE
Re: Batteries

Originally posted by pifcat2
I have a factory Mercedes battery in my car. I was wondering if there are advantages of replacing it with a factory battery or an Optima.
My local Benz mechanic just put in an Interstate MegaTron Plus MTP-93 J3. MUCH bigger than the OE Benz battery -- seems to be the biggest one you can fit in there (see picture below). Hopefully this one holds up fine for me.

My previous battery (OEM MBZ) was installed in September 1999, and was approx 50 months old when it gave up.
Attached Thumbnails Batteries-battery-1103-pb081052-640w.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 12:32 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Manuel 320CE,
That's a BIG battery, I had to wrestle getting the factory battery out even with the integrated handles. Anyway, I went for the red Optima since it was smaller and easier to remove/replace.
Felix
Old 12-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Almost a Member!

320CE
Optima fitment ?

Manuel 320CE,
That's a BIG battery, I had to wrestle getting the factory battery out even with the integrated handles. Anyway, I went for the red Optima since it was smaller and easier to remove/replace.
Yep -- it was more than a handful

I was originally looking for an OPTIMA YELLOW (deep cycle), but could not find any definitive fitments for my 300CE. I went with the Interstate on my (independent) service tech's recommendation, and the fact that a) I needed one that day; b) he gave me a big discount on parts/service.

For reference, which model OPTIMA RED did you install, and did you need to do anything special (to get it to correct height, hold-down clamps, etc) to get it to fit OK ??
Old 12-03-2003, 12:41 PM

Funny about the fit thing, I still have the Optima battery that was in my 124, so I know there is one that fits. BUT, if you go to the optima website and search for a battery for the 300E, you get "There are no matches available for this vehicle." I will look tonight and see what the model # is...

-D
Old 12-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Almost a Member!

320CE
Originally posted by dlafever
if you go to the optima website and search for a battery for the 300E, you get "There are no matches available for this vehicle."

They (Optima) don't publish fitments for several cars -- unclear why...
Old 12-04-2003, 03:38 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
It was the only red top type they had at Pep Boys. It was designed for universal fit with side and top posts and a plastic cover that could be used for a base if necessary. It was not necessary since the battery's base fit the Mercedes base mount perfectly. Besides the universal fit, I read on the Optima site that the red is for applications that can be frequently charged like a daily driver. You would use the Yellow for low frequency charging like a second car that sit's alot. Don't quote me so read the site FAQ's. It explains the advantages of the Optima and proper applications. Longer life and higher reliability sold me on them even though they are more expensive than common batteries. That and Pep Boys sells them much less ($109) than the speed shop that I checked ($149).
Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

320CE
It was the only red top type they had at Pep Boys. It was designed for universal fit with side and top posts and a plastic cover that could be used for a base if necessary. It was not necessary since the battery's base fit the Mercedes base mount perfectly.
Based on my requirements, Pptima's YELLOW top was a more appropriate fitment, but no one could give me a "good" model recommendation that would definitely work:
- Benz needs "reverse polarity" post configuration
- battery height has to be sufficient, as Benz cables are short

Last edited by Manuel 320CE; 12-04-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:35 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Optima's are designed universally and I don't know why you need the Yellow unless you have high power audio. The dimensions are on the website:

Application info:
Selecting The Right Optima Battery
Optima offers two basic battery types: Optima starter type batteries, and Optima dual-purpose deep cycle/starter batteries. The Optima starter type batteries are superior replacement units for your car, truck, boat, or other vehicle. Optima deep cycle/starter batteries serve dual purposes: They function very well as starter batteries, but they also are designed to withstand repeated deep discharging (down to a charge level of 10.5 volts) without having their life span shortened. This ability makes them especially useful when electrical loads exceed recharge rate (including times when the battery cannot be recharged at all, such as for marine trolling motors, or for running car audio equipment with your engine turned off.) Optima deep cycle batteries are very popular for marine trolling motors, winches, special lighting, portable power, and emergency backup systems of all types. If you need high performance power for car audio, the best battery for you is one or more of the largest Optima deep cycle/starter batteries you can fit in.

What does deep cycle mean, and how are deep cycle batteries different?
Deep Cycle refers to applications that typically discharge 60 to 70% or more of the battery capacity. An automotive battery is an SLI battery (Starting, Lighting & Ignition.) Its plates are designed to deliver maximum power for a short duration. Starting an engine typically discharges an SLI battery 3% or less. When an SLI battery is used in a deep-cycle application or in a vehicle with heavy accessory loads, the battery life will be shortened proportionally to how deeply and frequently it is discharged.

When should a deep cycle battery be used?
The OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery uses a different chemistry for the plates' active paste material, and a slightly stronger acid. This chemistry allows for a much longer life in deep cycle applications with only a slight reduction in maximum power output.
The most common use of deep cycle batteries is in applications that require deep, repetitive drain, like powerful car audio systems, trolling motors, golf carts, electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources.
Public safety and high performance vehicles are other applications that call for the special characteristics of OPTIMA deep-cycle batteries.
Attached Thumbnails Batteries-optima-battery-2.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 12:51 AM

OK, I just got a chance to look at the one I have. It is an 800S, or a model 34 depending on which number you go by. You can find it online for $135 delivered here

I know that the posts should probably be reversed, but since they are more centrally located in the top of the battery, I had no trouble connecting my cables to them. The nice thing about this battery is the 800CCA. They do make an 800SR which is an orange-top battery with the post polarity reversed, found on the same page as the 800S. And, here's a pic of the 800S:
Attached Thumbnails Batteries-optima-800s.gif