E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

speaker question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320
speaker question

it seems like the right front speaker in the dash of my E320 is blown (rattle and squeal) is there any chance that the head unit is the problem or is it the speaker only? also, i am getting ready to install a cd changer in the back of the car (wagon) where do you suggest i put it for best location etc? thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I had to replace my right front speaker because of buzzing at higher volumes, so it was a no-brainer, it was blown.

Since yours squeals, the suggestion I can make is to swap it with another speaker and see if the problem follows the speaker.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:13 PM

2004 e320
Well its definitely blown. but here is my dilemma. i had new speakers in my C class installed from a very reputable privately owned shop in my area. when i got my car back they had broken the clips that held the door panels on etc. and failed to trim the speaker mount down enoough for the door panel to lay flat. so my concern now is where i should bring the car to replace the speakers. i am new to the e class and i don't know how tough it is to remove the speakers etc. I am afraid another shop will do the same thing. i want to add mb quart speakers to the car. any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
It sounds like the reputable shop hired a non-reputable technician! If the tech screwed up your door, he'll screw up the dash. You'll definitely want to avoid them or perhaps have them explain what happened with the previous work.

The dash speaker is not difficult if you know how it's supposed to come apart. I'm sure you could do better than the previous tech. A lot depends on your level of comfort working with cars.

On the right-side dash speaker there's a removable strip on the left side. I believe it's supposed to be slightly pushed toward the window and pried upward, while taking care not to mar the dashboard. Carefully keep prying until all the tabs on the strip are free from the slots. Don't rush and don't get frustrated. After that it's all nuts and bolts. My replacement speaker from MB cost $25.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:51 AM

2004 e320
what i may do is just take apart everything myselft, have them install the wiring etc and then put it back together becuase i just don't trust any place to have an attention to detail or patience?? unless anyone on the board knows of a place in the NJ, NY, CT area???