E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004 | 01:13 AM

Mercedes 2019 AMG S63, 2015 E250 Bluetec. Previous: '18 E63S, '07 E63, '10 S550, '15 S550, '10 GL350
Question Lowering Springs

Hey,

For those of you who have lowered your cars, have you experienced any problems? I want to put the Eibach Pro Kit on my car, but the dealer service advisor "cautions" me that I may eat up tires because of a misalignment. Have any of you guys with H&Rs or Eibachs had this problem? The Eibach kit only lowers the car 1.2 inches. Am I being too cautious?

Thanks

D
Old 01-21-2004 | 05:54 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Camber adjustment options

I don’t know if I would call it being too cautious, but there is a good chance that you will need to install parts that allow for rear camber adjustment. You are lucky someone told you about the camber issue before you dropped the car. I found out after the drop and had to scurry around trying to figure out what to do. Below are some links with lengthy discussions about camber adjustment options.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ghlight=camber

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=82329

You are in luck. Someone on another forum is selling a K-MAC kit. I can’t vouch for the seller's reputation or his knowledge about what he is selling, but you might want to contact him by using the link below.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=82329

Last edited by ksing44; 01-21-2004 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2004 | 10:09 AM

Mercedes 2019 AMG S63, 2015 E250 Bluetec. Previous: '18 E63S, '07 E63, '10 S550, '15 S550, '10 GL350
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.
Check your PM box.

That KMAC kit looks pretty good.

Diesel
Old 01-21-2004 | 01:29 PM

W124
Hi Ken, how's it going?
I'm going to order Sportline springs for my car this week. The 'crazy' yellow ones are just too low and harsh. I hope the sportline's are lower than standard and they should improve ride.
I'll let you know how I get on. I think keeping it all genuine MB will improve the resale value as well.
Old 01-21-2004 | 03:18 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
I wasn't crazy

Hello Cap’n,

So I wasn’t crazy when I thought the color might indicate they were pretty aggressive springs. I really don’t know anything about it, but it seems like the high performance stuff is usually red, orange, or yellow.

As for the springs, I like the Eibach Pro Kit springs (they are black, like OEM), but I guess the Sportline springs are your best chance for better performance with the least deterioration in ride quality. Good luck with your next set-up.

Hey, what about the grille? I think I waited long enough for a reply from the vendor. VISA returned my money about 60 days ago, the vendor has not responded to me or VISA, so I think I can keep the broken parts and keep my cash too. If you are still interested, I would send you a grille. As we discussed before, shipping to the UK will cost about $20.00 US, but I don’t care about the cash if you would like to try it. It would be worth it to have a friend in Plymouth.

Last edited by ksing44; 01-21-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2004 | 03:21 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
What the heck

Hello Diesel (Naseem)

I started to answer before I read your second email message, so I thought I would reply anyway. Then my email message was too long for the PM email and I figured, what the heck, I would just answer on the forum.

I paid quite a bit for the installation of the AMG wheels, springs, shocks, and 1-bump pads at all four corners. I think it was about $400.00 dollars and then I also paid $100.00 more for the 4-wheel alignment. I had the work done at a Porsche tuner specialty shop. After I looked over the alignment specifications, carefully examined the drop, and did some research on the Internet, I realized I had to get the K-MAC bushings and that I should increase the pad height in the rear to get a symmetrical drop. Again, I had the work done at the Porsche shop, paid quite a bit, and then I had to have the alignment done a second time. The K-MAC bushings are only hard to install because it is hard to remove the OEM bushings and it does take a little bit of time. It would have cost less to have everything done at one time. I am very happy with their work, but I don’t think I saved any money vs. going to the Dealer. Working with the Benz was kind of a learning experience for them, so I think it took them a bit longer, which ended up costing more even at a slightly lower hourly rate. I didn’t think the dealer would install the aftermarket parts and my independent mechanic also does not work with anything but OEM components. If you can get the dealer to do it, I think that might be the best way to go. The dealer will probably be able to give you a quote for the work, because they know exactly how long everything will take. Well I guess I should say they know exactly how much the book says it will take and how much they will charge for the work.

Every car is different, but I would go with the Eibachs, Bilsteins, K-MAC bushings, and 1-bump front with 2-bump rear pads to start, if I did it again. There is a chance you will get it right the first time, if you start with that combination. I used Blistein HDs and I like them, but most people get the Bilstein Sports. I think the same set-up with the HDs is just a bit higher, but I think the added support of the shocks increases the progressive nature of the Eibach Pro kit springs and this helps keep a bit more comfort in the ride.

As for being worth it, I really do like the improved handling and the slightly lowered stance. You do give up a bit of the ride comfort, but it isn’t too bad with the Eibach Pro Kit springs, the Bilstein HD shocks, and 16” wheels. Just adding the shocks, bigger swaybars, and +1 or +2 wheels would give you a lot of the performance, but the slight drop does help the appearance. Not ghetto low, but low enough that it doesn’t look like a 4 x 4 truck. The cars really are pretty high before the drop.

Last edited by ksing44; 01-21-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2004 | 11:48 PM

Smile THANK U

ksing44,

You have been extremely helpful. Thank you very much. Your links were excellent and you last post answered all of my remaining questions. I am going ahead with the drop. Now I just got to get a hold of the KMAC rep. I called his work number, someone answered and said that KMAC is no longer there. I called his cell and left a message. I will try again. I have to look through the posts again and see who is selling it here on the forum.
The Tuner shop selling me the components (thanks for the referral Zorro) recommended Eibachs with Koni Adjustables, but I think I will go with the Bilsteins instead.

Naseem
Old 01-22-2004 | 04:17 AM

W124
Hey, what about the grille?
Ken, I'd love to try that grille. Make sure there's a return address on it and you might just receive a small bottle of Plymouth Gin
http://www.plymouthgin.com
Old 01-22-2004 | 05:28 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
"Same Shelf"

Hello Naseem,

I was told that the Bilsteins and the Konis "come from the same shelf", which was meant to say that they are of similar quality. As I remember, the choice is between Koni Red and Koni Yellow shocks. I read that they are adjustable shocks, but there were also comments made indicating that the shocks are difficult to adjust after they are mounted on the car.

The Bilsteins seem to be the more popular choice and the consensus is that Bilstein makes shocks for the AMG version of the Benz. I have also read that Eibach supplies the springs for the AMGs, although I also read that both H&R and Eibach have been used by AMG. Eibach Pro Kit Springs with Bilstein Sports or H&R springs (I’m not sure which version) with Bilstein Sports, are the most common combinations. The Eibachs are generally touted as being more comfortable and the H&Rs are generally touted as being stiffer with a slightly bigger drop.

As I said in my previous post, I am happy with the Bilstein HDs and I am quite confident that the slight 1" drop from the Eibach springs does not preclude the use of the HDs, which has a longer stroke length than the Sports. With the slightly bigger drop of the H&Rs, it is probably better to get the Sports and even with the Eibachs, most people get the Sports.

Good luck with your modifications.
Old 01-22-2004 | 05:48 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
JASPERIZER for me

Hello Cap’n Jasper,

I will make it a point to send the grille after I make it to the weekend. I still have the address. There will be no need to send anything to the US. The only thing I want is to stop off in Plymouth to enjoy a fresh "JASPERIZER" or "HALF A YARD" while looking out at the picturesque views of the Barbican. How could I forget, I also want "real beer" in a "real English Pub".

Last edited by ksing44; 01-22-2004 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:37 AM

W124
Done!
Old 01-23-2004 | 12:11 AM

Thumbs up Decisions Decisions....

ksing44,

Once again, thanks.
The guy at the tuner shop here say that in his opinion, Konis work best with the progressive nature of the Eibach Pro Kit. But I have seen here that most people go with the Bilstein. Ill just figure it out when I order it tomorrow. He also carries the KMAC, so that saves me having to shop around.
Thanks for your help. Ill post pics once its all done.

N
Old 01-23-2004 | 07:50 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Show me the pictures

I checked my receipts from the Porsche shop. I paid $455.00 to install the springs, shocks, new 1-bump spring pads at all four corners, and 16" AMG wheels. The 205/55/16 tires were already mounted and balanced by Tirerack. I also paid another $125.00 for the 4-wheel alignment. Next I paid $260.00 to install the K-MAC bushings and change the rear to 3-bump spring pads. I also paid another $125.00 for a second 4-wheel alignment.

It wasn’t cheap, but it cost quite a bit more because I didn’t get it right the first time. If I did it again, I think I would start with Eibach Pro kit springs, Bilstein Sports, 1-bump front pads, 2-bump rear pads, and the K-MAC bushings. I like the Bilstein HDs, but I still wonder about the Sports and I think I would switch if I did it a second time. I don't know anything about the Konis. I also like the Eibach Pro Kit springs, but I still wonder about the H&Rs. I don’t think I would switch to the H&Rs, however, because I would be worried about losing too much ride comfort. I think the Eibach is a nice blend of increased performance and comfort. I just don’t know enough about the H&Rs, so in this case I would stick with what I already know.

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your car. By the way, what year and model Benz do you drive?
Old 01-23-2004 | 09:45 PM

Hey ksing44,

I tried to order the suspension today, but the tunershop salesman has not heard back from his supplier regarding the KMAC. I guess I have to wait a few more days....

We have 1987 300D Turbo (it still looks like the day we bought it waaaay back then, it just broke in at 233,000 KM) and a 2003 E320. The only thing done to the W124 is a stereo system and updated 8 hole polished wheels from the Tirerack. Once Ive lowered the car, I plan to add 17inch rims from Bekkers.com

Compared to the E320, the 300DT is a simple car, but it has proved to be extremely reliable and safe. I think Mercedes engineers need to go back to basics and look at the W124. Todays Benz's are so tech happy, its kind of scary. A Mercedes autobody shop owner in my city recently told me that they are no fun to work on anymore because they are so complicated. The W124 has been out of production for 8 years now, but it still looks like a contemporary car on the road. MB did good with this model. The final updates in 94 and 95 make the car look king.
Old 01-23-2004 | 09:56 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
You are the King

Hey Diesel,

Try to patient with your mods. Remember that you are supposed to be having fun with it.

You are the king, with a 1987 300D and a 2003 E320. I’m not up to speed on when the model year changed. Is the 2003 a W211? I know it isn’t a W124, but is it OK anyway?

I think you are right about getting back to basics. My car is simple, but elegant. It isn’t utilitarian. I think my car is an example of elegant simplicity of function and it is truly beautiful.
Old 01-23-2004 | 10:13 PM

Smile

Im not the king

The W211 is the 2003. It is a really nice car, no doubt. But I am from the old school, it does not have that "Mercedes tank" feeling in my opinion. The 2003 is not mine, its my father's. He said there was no way he was getting rid of the W124, so he gave it to me.
The way I figure it, if I was to spend double what the car is worth today, I'd only get half the car. Even though it's 17 years old, it still does the job.
Old 02-29-2004 | 10:18 PM

Thumbs up I dropped the car

I lowered the car last week. What a difference it made in the appearance and handling of the car.

Ksing44, thanks for your advice man. I printed off your specs and had the alignment shop use them. Zorro, thanks for hooking me up with Tunerworks in Calgary.

What I wanted to let everyone know is what a rip off the dealers can be. Get this, my regular dealer, which my family has been using for the last 17 years, quoted me $1300 for install "plus we will need the car for a couple of days". Another dealer quoted me $850.

The place where I bought the hardware from hooked me up with this shop. My hesitation of not going to the dealer was alleviated when I pulled up and saw the SL600, S500, and Porsche 911 parked outside, plus the Bimmers and Benzs in the garage bay. These guys charged me $466, including alignment and taxes. And they were actually nice...

I went with the Eibach lowering springs, Koni adjustable shocks, #1 pads in the front, #2 in the back, KMAC camber adjustment kit.
Old 03-03-2004 | 07:29 PM

Mercedes E320 , Lexus IS350
Congrats diesel! I see that you're happy with your mod

I have a 94 E320 sedan w/ 17" thin spoke AMG rims. The height of my car annoys me a lot. I want to add the Eibach pro-kit springs, but i'm on a tight budget right now. Would it be bad if i just lower my car with Eibach springs without changing shocks? I could get the KMAC kit and the springs for pretty cheap, but i'm worried about the installation cost. How much will it be around if i just install springs and the KMAC kit?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2004 | 07:56 PM

hi Gordo,

Dropping the car is worth it man. Big difference in the look and handling. If I were you, I would buy the Eibachs and KMAC now and just hold on to them. Once you can buy the shocks, install everything at once. It will be cheaper than installing the shocks separately, because you won't be paying the installer twice to lift the car.

All of the instructions for lowering your car are here in this thread. The place you buy the kit from may be able to direct you to a shop that can do the install. SHOP AROUND, it will save you money. Ksing44 has put all the specs for the alignment on this thread as well.

Diesel
Old 03-03-2004 | 10:57 PM

Mercedes E320 , Lexus IS350
Hmm, are shocks neccessary though? Is it bad if i just change springs and the KMAC kit? You said you spent $466 on just the installation?
What about those #1 and #2 pads that you are talking about ... what do they do? Thanks
Old 03-04-2004 | 01:58 AM

You can change the shocks later. It would be ideal to change them at the same time though because your current shocks are 10 years old and wont be performing as they did back in the day.
You would be much more satisfied with the ride if you put on performance shocks at the same time as the Eibachs. I'm not sure what the ride will feel like with original shocks and the pro-kit springs......

As for the pads, they go over the springs and have a minor effect on the height of the car. They are cheap, like $7.50 each. You can get them at the dealer. Go for #1 pads all around.

I paid $466 Canadian dollars for the install, so that is like $350 US. I got a really good deal as compared to what the dealers wanted.

My advice to you, if you don't have the green right now, just save up and do the job properly. Your car looks nice already the way it is. Just have some patience and drop your car once you have all the right parts, and can find someone reputable and reasonable to do it.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:22 PM

I have a 1994 E420 that has been lowered. It was done before I bought it so not sure what springs are on it. However I know it has the one bumps installed above the spring. The car is low and all the alignment adjustments are maxed out. The car sways all over when you accelerate, let off the gas or hit some bumps in the road. I am thinking of replacing the links at the rear as the bushings seem to be a "little" worn but not much as the car only has 56,000 miles on it. I was thinking about raising back up to ride hieght so i can get the adjustments back. It wouldn't look to high as there is also an AMG kit installed on it.

I haven't decided what to do because I am having a problem locating a shop in Houston, Tx. that is knowledgable about my dilema. Maybe new springs (as the rears are sagging a bit) and just go up to two or three on the bump stop. I am not sure which one comes as the factory setting.

Anyone in the know PLEASE feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 03-06-2004 | 12:46 PM

Smile

hi Andy,

I think the problem with your car is that you are not able to adjust the rear camber. The KMAC kit will probably solve your problems. I doubt with only 56000 miles that the springs would be the problem, but it is possible.

My advice to you would be to read from the beginning of this thread, and read all of ksing44's attachments. I followed his advice and am very happy with the results.

I went with #1 pads in the front, and #2 in the back. I am happy with the Eibachs and Koni adjustables, but Bilsteins are excellent as well from what I have heard. You probably would not be happy with the way the car looked going to #4 pads in the front.

Diesel