E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

HC-values MB 320 -92

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 320 CE
Question HC-values MB 320 -92

Hello,

I have some problems with exhaust gases. The car is MB 320 10/92, 157000 km driven. Lambda-censor changed in 155000 km by car dealer.
The exhaus gas values are followings at 700 rpm:

CO: 0.5%
CO2: 14.4%
Lambda: 0.97-1.03
and HC: 160 ppm

What could cause the problem for the high HC values? The answer of local Mercedes Garage was that the only possibility is to change the whole catalysator and pipes and wasn't that helpful after all. When I asked from other people who have some experiences about the MB's the answer was that it could be probably because of active carbon filtering, but the local garage denied that one as well.
One solution would have been driving the engine hot, but it was already hot enough (20 km at 100-120 km/h)

So the only reasonable answer I've got so far is that it could be probably if the old owner has driven long time with the broken lambda censor that could cause some catalysator insufficiency and should be better by time. But I should pass the gas test in one month so I don't trust that it would be the only reason.

Would somebody have some ideas for the malfunction? Would it help if I adjust the injection? Or would the reason be in valves?

There hadn't been any other problems with the engine, as far as I know. The engine is running very smoothly and seems to be ok. I have owned the car only for one month and driven 2000 km with it, so I can't tell that well. It wasn't in use almost for three years.

If somebody could help me or have some good answers I'd very thankful.

Regards,

Markus
Old 04-05-2002, 03:52 AM

09 ML350
I dont know what your problem is, but it sounds like it could be your cat. If your cat gets damaged then it will cause more damage to the enviroment then w/ out one. So if it is your cat then get it fixed so our enviroment will not suffer. Also could the car be running rich? Sorry realy can't help you much here.
Subman
Old 04-05-2002, 04:03 AM

MB 320 CE
Well... The problem is there that I can't register the car in Switzerland before the HC values are under 100 ppm and CO 0,5%. That's why I have the car in German export plates and the insurance is very expensive for those plates. So that's why I'd like to register it in switzerland, but don't have currently enough money for new cat.
But it seems to be the only possibility.

If any other (cheaper) possibilities would be in question I'd rather do those.

Thanks anyway,

Markus