E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Best Suspension Mods for '95 E320 (special edition)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Best Suspension Mods for '95 E320 (special edition)

I know, i've seen many and many threads out here that talk about the best mods, but personally I would rather have one on my own ride. Its a '95 E320 Sedan (W124 no doubt) (Special Edition) Whatever that means.

Only mods I have done is sit it on a set of 18" Arc Tezzen wheels, with 225x40 Yokohama Parada Spec2 tires.

I want the following, but i want to make sure that I"ll get the best feel and look, a nice dropped, I'm gonna rip into the road,but can still look classy look.

1. Eibach Sportline Springs
2. Bilstein HD Shocks
3. K-MAC Camber kit

I keep hearing, 1 bump front, 2 bump back, whats that mean?
Also, if you could include a couple of links on where to get the best prices for those items. I've gotten a couple of quotes.

1. Being from K-Mac at $320 for the camber kit.
2. $230 for the Eibach Sportline springs, but the company didnt offer sportline for the Benz only Beamer.
3. Bilstein HD Shocks @$280, doesnt the W124 run on Struts in the front? Thats what one mechanic told me.

I've done some looking around, but it never hurts to get some more input.
What about the Eibach Pro Kit Springs, the store i looked for Sportline offered Prokit for the Benz, are they more for Carshow look, than sport. I keep hearing that the sportlines are stiffer, so if anything, im going for a show look, not going to be racing her.

Thanks for the helpful insight!!

BenzPapi23
Old 03-31-2004, 12:06 AM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
Re: Best Suspension Mods for '95 E320 (special edition)

Originally posted by benzpapi23

I keep hearing, 1 bump front, 2 bump back, whats that mean?
That refers to the spring pad thickness. At the top of the spring where it fits into the chassis there is a rubber spring pad between the spring and the part the spring sets into. The different pads thicknesses only vary little but it is enough to get that correct ride height. I think they go from size 1 to 3.

Originally posted by benzpapi23
doesnt the W124 run on Struts in the front? Thats what one mechanic told me.
No, but it has the type of shocks that bolt directly to the lower control arm and look like they may even support the suspension components. The spring doesn't have anything to do with the shock so I can't imagine it being a strut.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:35 AM

W124
Here's a picture of the spring pad if it helps..

You can buy these from your MB dealer for about 5 quid ($8-10US?)
They are used to even out small differences in ride height. The difference between 4 bump and 1 bump is about 3/4 inch in ride height.
'Sportline' refers to the factory MB sport package offered as an option in the US from 1992. I believe the only way to get 'Sportline' springs is from your dealer.
Eibach is an spring manufacturer that makes a kit for your car. The drop will be slightly more than the MB Sportlines.
There are plently of people on this forum who use Eibach springs and I guess they will tell all...
Old 04-01-2004, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't buy the camber kit unless you cannot get it to align w/i specs. In the rear specs can be close to -2 degrees on W124s; sometimes the kit isn't needed...like in my case which has H&R springs and 1 bump pads all around.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
IF you lower, you want to use the Bilstein SP (Sport) shocks, not the HD. The sports are valved to be working in conjuction with shorter/stiffer springs.