E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 E220 6 speed conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 220E
W124 E220 6 speed conversion?

Hi guys, I found a 6 speed manual gearbox from a w203 c200 that has the M111 motor. I know the manual gearbox will bolt up to my E220's m111 block but can I also use the C200's flywheel, tailshaft and tranny mounts? (Yes I know my chances of using the mounts and tailshaft are slim and will require some modification)

Another problem I might run into is the speedo. Since the W124 uses a speedo cable and the w203 does not (correct me if i am wrong) does anyone have suggestions on how I can get around this? (If i do the manual swap)

And for anyone that is wondering, yes it is near impossible for me to find a manual W124 in Australia so my chances are really slim on finding a W124 gearbox
Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
'90 300CE M103 Manual '93 Alfa 164 QV24 '05 Jaguar X350
I heard that the 6-speed gearbox from the M111 will fit the W124. I gave up the idea of replacing my 5-speed with a 6-speed because after studying the ratios, there isn't much to be gained having a 6th gear. Instead one can think about using a taller or a lower differential, for more low-end torque or a quieter drive and fuel economy.

If you search more patiently, manual W124 gearboxes are not that difficult to find. You may have better chance finding one from Europe. As most W124s are over 25 years old, their manual gearboxes may have outlasted the cars and possibly their owners.

For non-V8 W124, the speedo is driven by a cable connected to the differential so it doesn't matter if you have a 5-speed, 6 speed or an auto gearbox. However, make sure that the speedometer and the differential are a "match". There is a "K" value label on each speedometer, which matches the km/h or mph dial AND the differential ratio. Apart from these, the wheel and tire sizes might also affect the accuracy of the speedometer. Other ways of adjusting the speedo accuracy are by fitting an adjustor between the cable and the speedometer, or simply add a GPS operated external speedometer.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 220E
Originally Posted by QVHK
I heard that the 6-speed gearbox from the M111 will fit the W124. I gave up the idea of replacing my 5-speed with a 6-speed because after studying the ratios, there isn't much to be gained having a 6th gear. Instead one can think about using a taller or a lower differential, for more low-end torque or a quieter drive and fuel economy.

If you search more patiently, manual W124 gearboxes are not that difficult to find. You may have better chance finding one from Europe. As most W124s are over 25 years old, their manual gearboxes may have outlasted the cars and possibly their owners.

For non-V8 W124, the speedo is driven by a cable connected to the differential so it doesn't matter if you have a 5-speed, 6 speed or an auto gearbox. However, make sure that the speedometer and the differential are a "match". There is a "K" value label on each speedometer, which matches the km/h or mph dial AND the differential ratio. Apart from these, the wheel and tire sizes might also affect the accuracy of the speedometer. Other ways of adjusting the speedo accuracy are by fitting an adjustor between the cable and the speedometer, or simply add a GPS operated external speedometer.
Thanks for the reply. So it does fit but it is definitely not a bolt in swap right? As i'll have to modify the gearbox mounts and do something about the tailshaft? Oh ok, i don't have to worry about my speedo then.