E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

High oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E300 Diesel 1995
High oil consumption

I have W124 E300 Diesel(124.131).It's having high oil consumption.(For every 1500KM drive need to top up with 1Ltr of oil)So I took the car our local MB dealer and they have done a compression test and said its looks ok and no visible oil leaks on engine.but after, they drove the car and done an oil 'level measure' check before and after.After that they confirm car is having high oil consumption.......so they recommend to overhaul the engine.........But i have a doubt,since the compression test was good is it really need an overhaul....Please advice me on this.The engine is driven almost 200000KM
Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
'90 300CE M103 Manual '93 Alfa 164 QV24 '05 Jaguar X350
Am not familiar with diesel engine, but if there is no obvious oil leak but there is high oil consumption, a logical deduction is oil is lost through normal combustion - sign of a toasted engine. Diesel engines are normally much more reliable than its petrol sibling, but who knows how the car was maintained in the last 22 years. Overhauled my M103 engine for the similar experience when nearing 230,000 km. No obvious oil leak, just occasional white smoke coming from the exhaust when I eased off the gas pedal after pushing the car really hard. I got mine overhauled by independent Mercedes workshop. Such major repair at the dealer would be expensive.

Last edited by QVHK; 06-07-2017 at 10:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
benze300 (07-22-2017)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
I had my spare turbo professionally rebuilt, replaced the oil separator w the newest one, dropped and cleaned the DPF, and just recently repaired my two smal leaks - turbo inlet, and the seals in the intake elbow/EGR tube. It didn’t look as though the oil cooler seals were leaking from the front or the back when I swapped the turbo, and pulled the intake elbow. Nor is there a drop in the drive. Though I haven’t given time since the fresh seals, I’m still consuming oil at an alarming rate. I now suspect excessive crankcase pressure to be sending oil through the separator through the turbo through the charge air pipe through the intercooler and subsequently into the intake. My next course of action is to install a provent 200 catch can, and drain it back to the pan w check valve in place. I also plan on deleting the DPF, EGR, swirl flaps etc, but I want to send my intake manifolds off my seized motor to CB engineering to have them cleaned ported and welded. I also plan on purchasing their full EGR delete kit.

CB Engineering Swirl Valve removal

CB Engineering EGR delete

edit: I guess this thread was at the bottom of Bluetec oil consumption thread and I inadvertently posted a reply here.

Last edited by TGcville; 09-12-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:23 PM

300d 250d 200td 300td
Start your car
open the oil filler cap
does it have blow by? is there smoke coming out in a steady rythm?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
Originally Posted by 300dgermany
Start your car
open the oil filler cap
does it have blow by? is there smoke coming out in a steady rythm?

I’ve read plenty of people who experience this exact situation, yet oil consumption is little to none.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:43 AM

300d 250d 200td 300td
That is not the point. The point is to diagnose what is wrong with the engine, the next idea ould be to test if the valve seals are shot

bad rings or bad valve stem seals is a good bet

the venting system could be blocked as well
Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D
Originally Posted by 300dgermany
That is not the point. The point is to diagnose what is wrong with the engine, the next idea ould be to test if the valve seals are shot

bad rings or bad valve stem seals is a good bet

the venting system could be blocked as well
I agree with this. This will quickly tell you if there's significant blowby. Is the cap stationary or does it dance around? If it's spinning and jumping you're likely in serious trouble.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:02 PM

MB gl 320 bt
All -- we did the DPF delete and reprogremmed ECU through tunemyeuro. Absolutely worth it.

Car runs great.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI, 2010 GL350 Bluetec, 2005 VW PASSAT TDI
How about oil consumption?
Old 02-10-2022, 02:24 AM

GL350
Exclamation OIL LOST BY BURNNING

Originally Posted by abemiami
How about oil consumption?
HELLO gl350 2013 101k BURNING LOST OF OIL DFP CATALYTIC CONVERTER REPLACED 6 MOTHS.

Replacing turbo was leaking by brand-new turbo. Hoping will fix the issue.

One quarter every 200 miles (ca. 322 km) of oil was burning and smoke only visible when not in reggen cycle is off, and at stop and go traffic, between lights and going up on free way ramps, no smoke at idle.

Last error codes were: turbo actuator faulty high crankcase pressure, boost issue/failure. These codes will only pop up after hard acceleration and not while in idle or smoothly driving.

DEF fluid level not going down even when/after reg gen cycle has been on according to OBD readings. So need to refile with Def to see if it is using Def during reg gen cycle.

Currently waiting for new gasket for tube reinstallation in progress.

Hoping new turbo oil seals don't go bad if DPF is blocked. But going to run some dfp cleaner in gas tank and drive smoothly after turbo installation and see if reg gen cleans DPF/ catalytic converter from all does 1400 miles (ca. 2,253 km) off burn oil coming from turbo internal leak. Yes, all other, oil separator membrane is new. This car is a mess. But I own a 2011 sprinter van with 190k and had bad EGR because issue will go away after EGR was cleaned . So Mercedes replaced catalytic converter and computer module caprylic convert/DPF and the problems just went away with new turbo. The issues were sever hesitation in taking off in traffic and city driving or going up ramps to highway then limp mode and the last symptoms were no turbo kicking and high RPM like a transmission issue. So the new turbo solved all issues but there was no oil consumption while these issues were acting up with the sprinter.

So the GL 350 has basically same engine has the sprinter but complete different emission EGR and turbo systems. I believe the GL 350 has bad turbo. Because sprinter did not blow turbo. Even with a bad/clogged DFP filter. It will literary just come off limp mode after using. DFP cleaner in gas tank and it will come back to life, but the EGR will act up and after cleaning will go back to normal. And finally new turbo everything is running fine. SO GL350 has had the same symptoms but with oil leak from turbo internally.

SO Mercedes has a big mess going on here, even Mercedes technicians don't know what is going on. They have brand-new sprinter Amazon vans with the same type of issues sitting across the country. In most Mercedes dealers( EGR serpentine belts issues.)

i will update my results after installation of new turbo ..