E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help a Noob Mechanic Find a Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500, 89 300E
Help a Noob Mechanic Find a Coolant Leak

Hello all,

Recently I purchased a 1989 300E for the sole purpose of learning to work on cars. I’ve always loved cars and always wanted to work on them, but I don’t even know how to change the oil. So, I figured that with the endless resources the internet has to offer and a lot of patience the best way to learn would be to buy an old car and try fixing things one by one.

This brings me to two days ago, when I found a W124 that was decent enough and had enough wear and tear for me to learn how to do all sorts of things. When I bought the car it was obvious that the car was leaking A LOT of coolant. I’ve spend a bunch of hours today trying to troubleshoot the issue to no avail.

After draining all of the coolant left on the car I can say that it is not mixed with any oil. I also looked at all of the hoses leading to the radiator and they don’t seem to be leaking either. So I filled the coolant of the car and started it up even drive it I just left it there idling, immediately coolant just started dripping heavily from the bottom and half the coolant tank was empty in minutes.

I took a few pictures of where the leaking is coming from, but to be completely honest I don’t even know what part of the car I am looking at.

This is where all of the coolant was collecting in the bottom of the car.

This is the same spot just a bit higher.

Also the same spot, a bit higher.

Do any of you have any recommendations on what I should try to do next to try to fix this issue?
Thank you!

Last edited by Imanolg; 12-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300CE
Hey Noob,

Well, you can't STILL be a noob after 7 months, eh? If you still need help write me.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1994 e320 coupe
Was it fixed? If so, what was the issue?

NOt sure if a water pump failure would cause it to leak THAT bad. Maybe just a hose?